Problems with PHAsset photo filenames -- random alphanumeric names are assigned to photos

In moving over to PhotoKit to save photos+metadata from my app, I discovered what I think is a pretty serious bug when associating a file name with the photo. First of all, here is what I am doing:

PHAssetCreationRequest *assetRequest = [PHAssetCreationRequest creationRequestForAsset]; 

PHAssetResourceCreationOptions *creationOptions = [PHAssetResourceCreationOptions new]; 
creationOptions.originalFilename = @"mycustomname.jpg"; 
creationOptions.uniformTypeIdentifier = @"public.jpeg"; 
creationOptions.shouldMoveFile = YES; 

[assetRequest addResourceWithType:PHAssetResourceTypePhoto fileURL:[NSURL fileURLWithPath:imgDataFilePath] options:creationOptions];

This does associate a filename with the asset, but the filename is not recognized in most typical software that can import photos from a device. In fact, the only software that seems to recognize it is Photos on a Mac, and only when the iPhone is tethered to the Mac — if a photo comes across through iCloud PhotoStream, the specified filename is often lost. And PC users or folks using other software to import/sync photos (including image capture on a Mac to a USB-tethered iPhone) will not see the specified filename or even the typical camera roll name like "IMG_1234.JPG" -- they will instead see a random and useless alphanumeric filename like "ABCD1234.JPG".

I submitted a bug report about this (#41787363) but after a couple rounds of communication, the bug was closed. I don't think the folks looking at the bug report really understood the problem or looked at my sample app because they just told me to use the above approach to name a file, which is what I am already doing and is what causes the bug in the first place.

I have a sample app that demonstrates the problem and it can be easily seen using the Image Capture app on a Mac to view photos on a tethered iPhone. Not sure what else I can do about this so I am posting up here in case anyone else runs into the problem. I have seen a couple other reports of this problem elsewhere on the internet so it's affecting other folks.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of s219 Down vote post of s219
1.8k views

Replies

Is this still not possible?