sync images and video to a bunch of iOS devices in an automated fashion from code

Not quite sure where to ask this, but here goes...

I'm looking for a way to be able to write code (to run on a Windows machine and/or Mac) that would, in an automated fashion, be able to update set of iOS devices (most likely iPads), sync'ing images and videos from a folder on the computer to the iOS devices.

The context is a kid's summer camp, where we're teaching capturing footage and doing video editing with iMovie on iPads. The scenario would be that you've gathered a bunch of footage (images and videos) with GoPros, DSLRs, drones, etc. and you have all that media in a directory on your machine. You now have the task of loading this footage onto a set of 30 iPads. The end result is that the iPads are used in a teaching environment for video editing using iMovie. So the media would be loaded each night in preparation for class the next day.

I'm looking for a way to write code which will automate this a bit. So I'd plug in the next iPad, run the utility, and it would sync the media.

Is there any API I can use to interface with an iOS device, like an iPad, plugged into the local windows machine or Mac?

Replies

To confirm:

• You’re not trying to load these resources into your app on the iPad.

• Rather, you’re trying to load these resources into the iPad’s camera roll.

Correct?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

That is correct, I have images and video files I need to load onto the camera roll so that the students can then use iMovie and include them in their project.

>Not quite sure where to ask this

Since this doesn't involve an app, your question may perhaps be best put to AppleCare's public community support forums (suggest you look for help w/automator ~ applescript), Apple's twitter support account and/or Apple’s YouTube Support Channel vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

https://support.apple.com/

This isn’t really my area of expertise, alas (as KMT noted, it’s not about programming on iOS). I thought you might be able to this using Apple Configurator but I couldn’t get it to work (I found a way to add a document to an app, but no way to add items to the camera roll). My best suggestion at this point is for you to ask your question over in Apple Support Communities, run by Apple Support, and specifically the in Business and Education topic areas, where you’re more likely to find folks with this sort of thing.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"