Signed app rejected due to symlinks

Hi, Mac developers,

Can anyone tell me what the exact rules are for symlinks inside signed apps? And how to get app signing to succeed for app bundles that contain symlinks? My signed app is getting rejected due to "invalid symlink destination", and I can't figure out why.

I am attempting to build a signed app version of GNU Octave. This app bundle contains several symlinks (about 6,500). All the symlinks have relative-path targets that point to other files inside the app bundle.

When I sign the app and then verify it, it gets rejected:

$ spctl -vvvv -a -t open --context context:primary-signature /Applications/Octave-4.4.0.app
/Applications/Octave-4.4.0.app: rejected (invalid destination for symbolic link in bundle)
origin=Developer ID Application: Andrew Janke (R7H2BFWJAB)

Replacing the symlinks with absolute-path symlinks did not fix it.

Removing all the symlinks by replacing them with copies of their targets does fix the problem and allow the app to validate. But this is untenable because it explodes the app bundle size to 7 GB.

$ spctl -vvvv -a -t open --context context:primary-signature /Applications/Octave-4.4.0.app
/Applications/Octave-4.4.0.app: accepted
source=Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: Andrew Janke (R7H2BFWJAB)

This is an open source project, so if you're interested, you can see the entire build system here: https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app-bundler

Bug report for this issue: https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app-bundler/issues/34

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

Replies

invalid destination for symbolic link in bundle

That message corresponds to the

errSecCSInvalidSymlink
error (-67003 from
<Security/CSCommon.h>
). It turns out that the code to check symlinks is part of Darwin, and specifically the
validateSymlinkResource()
method in the
SecStaticCode
class. I haven’t actually studied that code myself, but I suspect a close inspection, correlating it with your structure on disk, will reveal the problem.

Hmmmm, one more thing: Do you symlinks point to code? If so, is your code following the rules in the Nested Code section of Technote 2206 macOS Code Signing In Depth? If not, you’re going to run into problems, either now (in fact, this may be the cause of your current problem) or in the future.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"