Mojave Beta 4 - migration fail to 2018 MacBook Pro (updated)

Can not migrate from late 2016 MacBook Pro to 2018 MacBook Pro. Only apps move over. Mail and other core elements of the migration do not arrive. When complete I have to set up a new user and the migration account does not exist. Somewhat stuck.

Mojave Build 18A3336a Beta 4

Replies

Update.

Mojave Build 18A3336a Beta 4

After various efforts to migrate from a late 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar to the new MacBook Pro 2018 here is how I eventually made it work.

Time Machine Back does NOT migrate the user folder (it's not even available as an option when you attempt) - only the files with Mojave Beta 4. Serious bug. Various issues ensued from this. Safari and Mail would crash on every attempted start. Migration from Time Machine is basically unusable. For Migration however, with Target Disk Mode, the option to migrate over the User Accounts is there and works perfectly.

Solution:

Target Disk Mode from 2016 MacBook Pro with USB-C Thunderbolt Cable (NOT WIFI) and everything transitioned without issue and FAST. WIFI attempt hung after two hours.

Some issues reported elsehere:

Lightroom CC works fine... but on quit the app closes but the only way to actually quit the program is Force Quit. Photoshop CC seems to quit correctly. Indesign CC crashes on every start up attempt.

Brightness Controls MISSING from System Preferences. Installed free App 'Brightness Slider' from app store and this returns control over Brightness. One hitch - even though there is now brightness control it will not allow for FULL Brightness.

One note: base level Apple Care Telephone Support is almost useless. People reading from scripts. I've never experienced Apple Tech Support this weak. However, next level tech support is excellent, just don't tell them you are using Beta Software.

Derek