Time sensitive / Rejection w/ no specific guidelines

Quick question here -

We have an AR app that is designed specifically to play high end animated scenes on the badges of 7,000 attendees of a programming competition. The app uses Unity/Vuforia to provide target based hard tracking that connects the experience directly to the user's badge (not ARKit which can be markerless). There are 3 episodes that unlock on the 3 days of the conference.

The rejection we got was for "minimal functionality" and it's hard to believe that the reviewer would characterize the content as not living up to Apple's standards (we are accomplished animators with years of experience). In addition, the content is designed to be exactly what our client has asked for and approved which makes it inherently functional.

My suspicion is that the reviewer is running the app but not pointing it at the target image (included, along with instructions in the submission process). In this case, you simply see an image from the camera with minimal reticles, etc. It could be construed that this would constitute "minimal functionality".

This idea is backed up by the fact that the reviewer also stated that the metadata that I submitted didn't match the action of the app. The images in the metadata were direct screengrabs from using the app. This leads me to believe that they are not sucesfully tracking the target image. (as an aside, I've also included a $1 bill as a target and alerted them to this).

I have tested this exact version (worrying that maybe I sent the wrong one - didn't) and it works exactly as our client has requested.

Another frustrating thing is that we've had half a dozen other apps exactly like this one (different scene content but similar animation style) approved (one in ~4 hours - thank you very much!).

OK - maybe not such a quick question.

The real kicker here is that we have not gotten any details about what makes them feel this is "minimal functionality". I have no idea what they are seeing and have not gotten a callback from any of the myriad requests for support, etc. The deadline for this is Sunday (7/22) and without some indication of how to correct the problem we are in serious danger of not delivering our product, not getting paid and dissapointing thousands of users.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated - the sooner the better!!!

thx

Replies

You might try resubmitting and leaving specific instructions in the Notes box in the App Review Notes section of App Store Connect.

Thanks for a good suggestion - I thought that would help and actually did exactly that for the 3rd submission. Not quite sure what's going on here and with no way to connect I'm only left guessing.

And you've already tried contacting App Review through the Resolution Center?

You might also try Contact Us and select App Review.

Yes - they are very cheery and attentive sounding but the time frame to get back to me is too far out for our project.

Anyone from the app review teams looking here? This is an easy one and well worth the good karma it'll bring!! :-)

thx