SceneKit + ARKit .scn assets not loading in iOS12

Is anyone else finding when attempting to load & then present 3D models in .scn form the app silently crashes?

I am using iOS12 beta 4, XCode10, Swift 4.2 with ARSCNView + facetracking session.

Replies

If you are not getting any info in the Xcode debugger or a crash report from TestFlight, then iOS may be killing your app for using too much memory. There are some significant memory problems that I’ve found with SceneKit in the iOS 12 betas (currently Beta 4). Our app running on iOS 11.4 uses around 250MB and when run on iOS 12 Beta 4 hovers around 1GB before its killed. I’ve reported bugs about this to Apple but you may want to also.

Yes, this is exactly what I’m seeing too & the conclusion I reached. I have indeed filed a bug myself too. My app had no memory issues at all when run on 11.4 but when running my app in iOS12 it seems there is FAR less memory to play with and the app gets terminated. Could this be due to iOS 12 using a ton of system RAM for the OS to achieve iOS12’s famed major performance improvements I wonder..