Shader debugger hardware requirements?

Hi,

I understand that I will need 10.14 Mojave if I want to use the Metal shader debugger. I'm wondering: do the abilities of the shader debugger vary among those Mojave-capable machines, according to the level of Metal support on the machine, or is it all-or-nothing? In other words, will a 2012 Macbook Pro have all the same shader debugger features as a 2018 Macbook Pro, when debugging metal apps on the newest iOS devices?

thanks,

Rob

Accepted Reply

Hi rnikander,

You can use Xcode's shader debugger on High Sierra as well so long as your iOS device is running beta iOS 12 beta 4 and of course you're using Xcode 10 beta 4.

Replies

Hi rnikander,

You can use Xcode's shader debugger on High Sierra as well so long as your iOS device is running beta iOS 12 beta 4 and of course you're using Xcode 10 beta 4.

Thanks! I was not ready to part with my 2011 MacBook Pro. 🙂

Hello 4k4,

I guess that Metal Shader Debugger also requires Mojave to work for macOS app right?

Best,

Hi AQUArchitect,

I actually don't know yet because I haven't tried, and I'm not inclined to make any assumptions. Perhaps you can let us know?

Hello 4k4,

I tried Metal Shader Debugger on High Sierra and the Debug button is greyed out. And from what you said, Metal Shader Debugger only works on the device with iOS 12 beta, so I assume that I need Mojave to make it work for macOS apps. Does my logic make sense?

Thanks,

Your logic makes sense and good observation on the debug button being grayed out on High Sierra.

Again I can't confirm anything with certainty without having tried/seen it yet myself.

You probably have bug reports on this already, but FYI I get a lot of Xcode crashes doing this. High Sierra + Xcode 10 beta 4 + iOS 12 beta 4 on iPhone SE, and... most of the time if I try to click on a texture to debug a fragment shader, Xcode just goes bye-bye. I'm sending reports to Apple so hopefully someones getting them.

Rob

We very much appreciate the bug reports!

Even if some are marked as duplicates it's extremely helpful.

For shader debugger on Mohave: Intel (Broadwell or newer), AMD, Nvidia; on iOS/tvOS 12 Apple A9 or newer.

Cheers,

Seth.