Problem in code signing for distribution outside the Mac App Store: bundle format is ambiguous...

I deleted my previous (large) post on this topic because I've made some progress, so this is an updated request for help.

I am struggling with getting a MacOS app prepared for distribution outside the Mac App Store. I'm building under Xcode 8.3.3, under MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra). I have two relevant targets in my project: the app itself, and a framework of my own creation, which incorporates some third party code (the AFNetworking framework and chromaprint framework for audio signal recognition, which expects a few dynamic libraries - .dylib files from the ffmpeg project).

I am almost certain that that problems I see are related to these embedded frameworks and .dylib files. I have attempted to codesign these separately from the Xcode build process, which appears to work (but i'm not sure). For example:

/usr/bin/codesign --force --sign "Developer ID Application: <my company name and identifier code>" --timestamp=none /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.57.61.102.dylib

...seems to work, and when I check it with codesign , it produces a normal (I think) report, similar to the one below (see my Diagnostics) for the app.

My app itself builds and runs just fine, and I can build Archives.

In the General settings tab of my main target (the application), for both Debug and Release versions:

- I'm NOT using "automatic signing".

- I am not using a provisioning profile because I am not requiring any special services.

- I am selecting the name of my company as my team (as opposed to myself).

- I am using "Developer ID" for the signing certificate.

- I have created certificates that I can see needing, under Xcode.

- I have created an App ID for my app on the Developer site, though I don't know that I need it, other than for a provisioning profile, which I am not using.

In the Build Settings tab under "Signing":

- I am using the Developer ID Application for my company's name (I am not planning to use Apple's installer at this time, just a DMG image file).

- I am using my company name as the team.

In other words, I THINK I have all the right choices made in XCode for both app and framework targets.

I can build and export from Archives, and the exported application runs fine. But when I transfer it over the Internet, I get the Gatekeeper message.

This is the message I get from spctl that drives me crazy - I have no idea how to fix this:

<path to my app bundle>: rejected (bundle format is ambiguous (could be app or framework))

I am at a loss. How can I fix this alleged ambiguity? Any help is appreciated. Please see diagnostics below.

---------------------------

Diagnostics:

Command:

spctl --assess --type execute <path to my app bundle>

Produces:

<path to my app bundle>: rejected (bundle format is ambiguous (could be app or framework))

I don't understand this vague message - any tips on getting more detail would be appreciated.

Command:

codesign -dvvv --deep --verbose=4 <path to my app bundle>

Produces:

(Nothing looks wrong in this, to me.)

Executable=<path to my app bundle>

Identifier=<my bundle ID>

Format=app bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)

CodeDirectory v=20200 size=1041 flags=0x0(none) hashes=25+5 location=embedded

OSPlatform=36

OSSDKVersion=658432

OSVersionMin=657920

Hash type=sha256 size=32

CandidateCDHash sha1=16059cab02da6d9d806bee834bd5ee059b71ffab

CandidateCDHash sha256=5bcebbbb681b17be9fa4105f676ccb4b0635c761

Hash choices=sha1,sha256

Page size=4096

CDHash=5bcebbbb681b17be9fa4105f676ccb4b0635c761

Signature size=8941

Authority=Developer ID Application: <my company name and identifier code>