Policy on ****** dating apps

We've noticed quite a few "****** dating apps" on the app store, for example Black Planet, Black Dating for Free, Black Dating Casual.

We don't see any white focused dating apps - we'd like to develop one - is there a reason they don't exist?

What is Apple's policy?

Replies

The apps you cite don't restrict access to blacks only. I suspect your white dating app would have restrictions.

There would be no restrictions.

It would simply be marketed to whites. It's just straightforward niching strategy, there appears to be a gap in the market.

There's no gap in the market. The members at other dating sites/apps are 80-90% white. Apple would most likely view your app as politically motivated rather than fullfilling an actual need and reject it (although nobody can say for sure).

Search "Black Dating" in the app store, you get relevant results.

Search "White Dating" in the app store, you get nothing.

That suggests a business oppourtunity to me.

Nobody goes searching for white dating apps (except maybe extremists) because ALL the dating apps have white people, including the black apps. If you don't want to see any black people (some of which are VERY hot, IMHO), simply filter your search results when using one of the many dating apps.

"If you don't want to see any black people (some of which are VERY hot, IMHO), simply filter your search results when using one of the many dating apps."
I thought this was a developer forum. You sound like a user rather than an app developer.

You can check keyword search volumes using tools such a www.thetool.io or sensortower or a number of others.

I'm not looking to date anyone, I'm looking to build an app that people will download, use and make me some money.

Hopefully someone who has experience with app store policy will answer.

Asking about policy here is a succinct waste of your time. You'll only get the opinions of other devs here. Apple won't respond.

Apple Developer Forums is a community for discussing developer-level issues with Apple’s SDKs and tools. It is not an official Apple support channel, even for developer issues, and it’s definitely not the right place to feedback/get answers about policy.

No one here can promise what app review will/won't reject/approve.

>That suggests a business oppourtunity to me.

My opinion is that it sounds more like a no-fly zone, and it would be naive to think you've found a topic/type of app just waiting for you to provide, that everyone else has simply overlooked.

Good luck.

For the record, I have MANY apps on the App Store. I have the distinction (believe it or not) of never having any of them rejected by the App Review team for any reason.

Please go ahead and knock yourself out. Spend 6-12 months developing an app (including setting up an expensive backend server to handle the database of dating profiles) and submit it to Apple and see what happens. My guess is that they'll recognize it for its ****** intent and reject it.

Dear orange9999,

You may sense that there is some sensitivity to what you are suggesting. You can't draw a parallel between a service for a minority subpopulation and the same service for a majority subpopulation because of myriad issues in society that favor members of a majority group. If you don't understand this distinction then you might consider reading a bit about the sociology of race before venturing into race related apps. But chose your reading sources wisely - the world is full of ****** literature written by people who would download your app and, outside your control, brand you as vile as they.

I get that it's sensitive, so is anything related to sexuality or religion, but we still have apps that market to subsets, for example Grinder (***) and eHarmoney (stright), and there are a myriad of Christian and Muslim dating apps.

"You can't draw a parallel between a service for a minority subpopulation and the same service for a majority subpopulation"

I'll stop you right there. You are assuming that all white people have a preference to date white people, that isn't the case. Black dating apps are not aimed at black people per se, rather they are aimed at black people *who want to date black people*. Do you see the difference? Most white people don't care, only a small subset will - that's the niche.

>I'll stop you right there.

It's not about me and I am not making any assumptions about anyone. This is a developers' forum so detailed discussions on topics of ****** sensitivity are really out of place. So let me just repeat what I wrote above underlining the 3 uses of the word you :

"If you don't understand this distinction (i.e. minority/majority equivalences) then you might consider reading a bit about the sociology of race before venturing into race related apps. But chose your reading sources wisely - the world is full of ****** literature written by people who would download your app and, outside your control, brand you as vile as they."

These guys don't know, they are just developers and these are their "opinions". There is nothing in the TOS preventing this, however you should reach out to apple. If they get back to you, let me know, I'd be interested in their response.

The "niche" you are referring to are ****** whites who can't stand the thought of using a dating app where there might be a few black people among the vast majority of white people. That's probably NOT the clientele Apple wants to cater to.

Apple doesn't provide pre-submission advice, other than what's in the guidelines.

Coming from a white person - I find the idea of a "Whites Only" dating app offensive and ******. Just sayin....