Localization based on App Store Region

We have an app in development that will be available in multiple European countries. A request has been made for us to make some resources in the app (e.g. Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, etc.) localized based on "where the user downloaded the app from". For practical purposes I understand that to mean the Region setting associated with their AppleID (App Store Region) when the app was installed. Apparently, for legal reasons, the Privacy Policy that is shown to the user when they create their account in the app MUST be the same as the version that they saw on the app listing when they installed the app. That's what I'm trying to accomplish.

From what I've gathered, I can use the Locale class to obtain the current region setting on the user's phone, which is not necessarially the same as the user's App Store region setting (and easier to change). So that won't fly. I've also read that I can obtain the user's AppStore region by including StoreKit and reading the purchase locale. However, I have read that some developers have had trouble getting apps approved by Apple if they include StoreKit but don't have any In-App Purchases - which we don't.

My questions are:

1) Is there any way to obtain the AppStore region setting without StoreKit

2) Is it true that you can't use StoreKit unless you also have an In-App Purchase in your app?

3) Am I just totally missing some other obvious solution to this problem?

Replies

3) Ask the user.

I've also read that I can obtain the user's AppStore region by including StoreKit and reading the purchase locale.

How exactly would you do that? As far as I can tell the locales returned by StoreKit are associated with a specific in-app purchase product rather than with the app as a whole.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"