First used launch screen file is forever cached and cannot be replaced

I just reported this bug. Bug report ID is 42102512. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

We just revamped our app with a new name and logo - the old logo however is sadly forever cached on existing devices. It shows on every boot of the app and all attempts to clear the cache so far for existing users have failed. The only "workaround" is to have the app deleted from device + restart of device + reinstall of app. However this incurs data loss and we cannot advice our users to do this.

Summary:

First used launch screen file is forever cached and cannot be replaced.

"Launch screen" = Launch Screen File (storyboard) specified in Info.plist for key UILaunchStoryboardName

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create a project, using a storyboard including a PNG image from asset catalog for launch screen. (We call this "launch screen X")

2. Release app on app store + download it and launch it on device A. (note: instead of app store, app can be directly installed on device from Xcode/adhoc)

3. Update app; delete launch screen X. Create new "launch screen Y", using another PNG for image - also delete the PNG used for "launch screen X".

4. Once again release app with a new version on app store + download it on device A and launch it. (note: instead of app store, app can be directly installed on device from Xcode/adhoc)

Expected Results:

The launch in step 4 should show "launch screen Y".

Actual Results:

The launch in step 4 shows "launch screen X".

Version/Build:

Confirmed bug on iOS 11.4 / iOS 11.4.1 - but is very likely affecting any previous iOS version.

Configuration:

Xcode 9.4.1.

Replies

What happens in step 4 if you clear the app from the recents list instead of doing delete/restart/reinstall before launching it?

For our app the only way to "fix" this was to delete the app from device, restart device, then install app again - but of course this would mean the user loses all data. A different workaround possible since iOS 11 is: using Settings app, delete app but keep the app data - the app icon remains on home screen. Tap on the app to download the app again - the user data will be kept intact. Also the launch screen problem goes away with this. Also no restart of device is needed.

• No jokes here, I spent 10 HOURS STRAIGHT trying to fix my splash screen image. I am a mobile developer nearly since 10 years and I spent 10 hours for showing an image. Reboot and voilà. This is just crazy. PS: 2022, still nothing done about that

Add a Comment

Thanks for feedback. Can you mark your answer as correct to mark the thread as closed ?

Yes this worked for me too.

Delete app and quit simulator, then run again from XCode.

Only deleting the app isn't enough, the Simulator needs to be restarted as well.

I would make a suggestion.

The image is a file in XCode.

When you change the image, do you change the file's name ? That should clear the cache or at least force it to get the new file.

I would be interested to know if changing the image name (and content of course), solves the problem when you reload the app.

Any response from Apple on this bug you reported? Is there any fix or solutions on this issue?

• 2 years later and still no fix from Apple. Launch screen is still with bugs.

Add a Comment

3 years later and still no fix from Apple. Launch screen is still with bugs and deforms the image.