Can I force an Apple In-App Trial Subscription before a user can use my app?

When a user downloads and opens my app, I'd like to open right into a quick tutorial and screenshots of all of the great things my app and its service can do. After a user swipes through the screenshots, I'd like to then force-present a "1 month free trial" to use the app.

If a user goes through with the trial, I unlock the full app for them. If a user cancels, I'll revert back to the screenshots of the great things the app can do for them (and ask over and over in a loop essentially).

Basically, a similar model to how users aren't allowed to use Netflix AT ALL until they subscribe.

Question: Is this type of "free trial" for an app allowed via Apple's rules?

Replies

yes an no. If the state of the app is still 'Lite' when the user fails to make the purchase or when the subscription ends (e.g. "revert back to the screenshots of the great things the app can do for them") then most likely yes. But if the state of the app is just annoying (e.g. "ask over and over in a loop") then most likely no.

Use the app to advertise not annoy.

And "how does NetFlix" get away with it??? They run a multibillion dollar enterprise - you?