MacOS 10.14 killing SSDs?

I installed 10.14 beta2 on a Macbook Air 5,1, and barely used it.

But a couple days after the installation, the system froze.

After a reboot, the internal SSD (original Apple 500 Gb SSD) could not be detected any more. The interface was still listed as present, but it was as if no SSD was attached to it.

I took the laptop to an AASP for a repair. The SSD was diagnosed as faulty, and was replaced with a brand new one.

High Sierra was installed on the new SSD and everything went fine. I upgraded to 10.14 (around the time beta 3 was released so I'm not sure wether what got installed is beta 2 or beta 3).

The day after the installation, the system froze. After a hard reboot, the SSD could not be found any more.

Of course, I tried a SMC/PRAM reset in both cases, to no avail. My laptop has become a brick.

Could 10.14 beta kill the controller firmware on this MBA model?

Replies

Hello ! Normally not really !

No there was then only a error by the installation process ! You have to reinstall it from the recover Partition and then it should work fine.

But if you want to work mobile with your MBA it is better to stay away in time from Beta 3 because the energy consumption is in time really high. Good luck . With best regards Philipp

There is no recovery partition since the disk is not detected any more, only online recovery, which didn't see the disk any more either.

I had a similar issue on my MacBook Pro 2014. I could not get my Mac to book after using beta 2 for a couple days. It keep freezing at the progress bar at boot. I left it going for an hour or so and it still wouldn’t boot. Force restarting did not fix it. I tried recovery mode to repair the disk but I got an error. I tried reinstalling macOS but I also got an error. Restoring from time machine backup also failed the first time (thought my Mac was out of storage when I still had a lot). I had to erase my drive and then restore from time machine backup. FYI I have an OWC aura pro ssd replacement for the original drive so I thought it was just a problem with third party drives.

I've had drive corruption on a Mac Pro. I first suspected an EFI firmware upgrade that came with 10.13.6. The failure was actually on the 10.13.6 SSD using HFS+ (I force to withhold the updagrade.) But there is another drive that boots into Mohave that maybe causes the corruption. The failure is subtle leading to degradation with apps closing until you are left with a blacks screen. Reinstalling ended up with a complete failure and drvies not detected at all.

I was able to recover moving the drive into a USB3 enclosure and attaching it to another system.

CarbonCopy clones are your best fried...