9 Replies
      Latest reply on Apr 19, 2019 12:58 AM by eskimo
      aimsgmiss Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

is there any public API or Method to get  resident size of current process of game like Debug Gauges to Monitor Memory?

As far as i know someone use XCode  instrument -> show the Debuger navigator -> Memory to get it, before i have found some API to get it

from internet,but a big differece bettween with the result of XCode Debuger navigator .

the first method like this:

struct mach_task_basic_info info; 
            mach_msg_type_number_t      count = MACH_TASK_BASIC_INFO_COUNT; 

if (task_info(mach_task_self(), MACH_TASK_BASIC_INFO, (task_info_t)& info, &count) == KERN_SUCCESS) 
            { 
               int32_t _pss = (int32_t)info.resident_size / (1024 * 1024); 
            } 

another method like this:

task_vm_info_data_t vmInfo;
            mach_msg_type_number_t count = TASK_VM_INFO_COUNT;
            kern_return_t kernelReturn = task_info(mach_task_self(), TASK_VM_INFO, (task_info_t) &vmInfo, &count);
            if(kernelReturn == KERN_SUCCESS)
            {
               int32_t _pss = (int32_t) vmInfo.phys_footprint / (1024 * 1024);
            }

someone discuss:https://github.com/aozhimin/iOS-Monitor-Platform/issues/5

1. a big differnece bettween the result of the first method and the result of XCode Debug navigator instrument,  info.resident_size will not increase When the memory is allocated continuously,but xcode Debug navigator will increase.
        2. but a little difference bettween the result of the second method and  the result of XCode Debug navigator instrument when use game test,but application app will same with it.

so i want to know how XCode Debug navigator to calculate Memory or how to get resident size of current process more precise,any idea will help me,thanks in advance!

• Re: how XCode to calculate Memory
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,325 points)

is there any public API or Method to get resident size of current process of game like Debug Gauges to Monitor Memory?

No.  Calculating the memory impact of a process is a complex job and there’s no API that’s guaranteed to return the same value as the memory debug gauge.

What are you planning to use this value for?  As an internal debug tool?  Or something that your production app uses to guide its behaviour?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

nmiyasato Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I would also need something like this, it would be used in an automated test which would measure memory footprint once finished a certain flow. So next time, if it significantly increases, we can send an email alerting about the situation.

Would it suffice to use info.resident_size ?

Thanks

it would be used in an automated test which would measure memory footprint once finished a certain flow

Cool.  Using these APIs in internal tools like this is perfectly OK.  I get worried when folks try to use them in their shipping app.

Would it suffice to use info.resident_size ?

Suffice for what?  Your proposed use is specific to your goals and your environment, which makes it hard for someone else to offer an opinion as to whether it’ll work well or not.  Getting info.resident_size doesn’t require a lot of development effort (-: so why not do that and see whether it catches the problems you want to catch?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

jtokash_curious Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just checking - is there yet an API available to debug builds to access the XCode memory gauge value?  My intended use is to identify memory hotspots in a Unity app whose memory behavior is very different between XCode 9.4.1 and XCode 10.1.  I've ruled out textures (at least textures I'm loading intentionally) as the source of this increased memory and I'm trying to narrow down which aspect of the game to investigate further.

is there yet an API available to debug builds to access the Xcode memory gauge value?

This situation hasn’t changed.

My intended use is to identify memory hotspots in a Unity app

Normally I do that sort of thing using the Instruments UI, rather than getting embroiled in the complexity of memory analysis APIs.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

My intended use is to identify memory hotspots in a Unity app whose memory behavior is very different between Xcode 9.4.1 and Xcode 10.1.

Also, just FYI, Reducing the Memory Footprint of Metal Apps.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

lenk Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

For our app, at least since iOS 12.0, we've found that vmInfo.phys_footprint matches the memory gauge in Xcode. For better or worse, it now seems to include all of the Metal textures, etc.

We've found this to be very helpful to include in beta test logs for analyzing memory problems on user devices, since those are not observable via Xcode or Instruments. It's also helpful to record the physical memory size of the user's device available via ProcessInfo.processInfo.physicalMemory. (It sure would be great if iOS uploaded a crash log that included something useful when an app runs out of memory...)

phys_footprint matches the memory gauge in Xcode

Yeah.  Thanks for bringing this up.  I should’ve mentioned it earlier, but I got lost in the minutiae )-:

The concept of footprint was introduced as an abstract representation of the general memory impact of a process, with the intention to isolate higher-level software from the gory details.  You can learn more about the philosophy behind this in WWDC 2018 Session 416 iOS Memory Deep Dive.  And on the Mac there’s even a footprint tool, with a man page.

If you’re going to record a single number, this footprint value is a good one to use.  I don’t think we guarantee that it’ll align with the Xcode memory gauge, but it’s much more useful value than all the older stuff (like resident_size).

ps It’s deeply un-fun to call Mach APIs from Swift, so my version of this is pasted in below.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

func memoryFootprint() -> mach_vm_size_t? {
                                    // The `TASK_VM_INFO_COUNT` and `TASK_VM_INFO_REV1_COUNT` macros are too
                                    // complex for the Swift C importer, so we have to define them ourselves.
                                    let TASK_VM_INFO_COUNT = mach_msg_type_number_t(MemoryLayout<task_vm_info_data_t>.size / MemoryLayout<integer_t>.size)
                                    let TASK_VM_INFO_REV1_COUNT = mach_msg_type_number_t(MemoryLayout.offset(of: \task_vm_info_data_t.min_address)! / MemoryLayout<integer_t>.size)
                                    var info = task_vm_info_data_t()
                                    var count = TASK_VM_INFO_COUNT
                                    let kr = withUnsafeMutablePointer(to: &info) { infoPtr in
                                        infoPtr.withMemoryRebound(to: integer_t.self, capacity: Int(count)) { intPtr in
                                            task_info(mach_task_self_, task_flavor_t(TASK_VM_INFO), intPtr, &count)
                                        }
                                    }
                                    guard
                                        kr == KERN_SUCCESS,
                                        count >= TASK_VM_INFO_REV1_COUNT
                                    else { return nil }
                                    return info.phys_footprint
                                }