FaceTime Not Working - Beta 2

I updated to Beta 2 last week and all of a sudden FaceTime, Photo Booth, and QuickTime cannot find the inboard camera. However, the system profiler shows a FaceTime camera configured. I thought perhaps it was an application I had installed, as I installed several, so I reinstalled a copy of Beta 2 and low and behold the camera and FaceTime worked. I reinstalled apps and it stopped working. I did the Beta 2 install once more and found that it wasn't the apps causing the issue, as FaceTime worked fine with a ***** copy of Beta 2, until the Mac went to sleep/hibernate, at that time it would never work again until reinstalling Beta 2 again, and then it would repeat the same behavior, working at first then stopping after X amount of time passed. Very frustrating as there is no way to use FaceTime, Slack, Hipchat, Photo Booth, or Quicktime with Beta 2.

I also tried all of the SMC, NVRAM, process kill solutions out there to no avail.

Accepted Reply

The same issue existed only if I plugged an external display or an external audio device.

Replies

I find there are issues with both the camera and the audio input, with several applications. Initiating audio and video input causes most of the system to hang, until the requesting application is Force Quit. This is regardless of if permission has been granted for access.

Actually, I went back and installed JoinMe and in fact, you are correct the entire audio/video system appears to not be working. I am unable to configure audio or video properties in the apps as well.

Update, Skype works just fine with camera and audio. So far Skype is the only application out of the following that works with the audio/visual system of Beta 2:

• Skype - Works as usual
  • Photo Booth- Launches but no video (Camera not available)
  • Quicktime - Crashes on launch requiring "Force Quit"
  • FaceTime - Crashes on launch requiring "Force Quit"
  • JoinMe - No audio/video system available in the system
  • Slack - Crashes when attempting to make a call or video call "Force Quit"

Go, Go Skype!

The same issue existed only if I plugged an external display or an external audio device.

Confirmed, nice find! I removed my external display and FaceTime started up and displayed video!

Same here. If i have an external monitor with camera attached to the iMac then FaceTime hangs on startup. After disconnecting this monitor FaceTime works like expected.

But for me Slack call is still working even if the second monitor is attached, only FaceTime hangs.

Confirmed this issue continues into beta 3

yes, confirmed. 😟

Also found Zoom (video conferencing app) has the same video issues in the latest beta.

Yep, still exactly the same.

It seems that beta 4 has fixed this issue.

For me, the bug came in this 4th beta 😟

It is officially broken for me now with Beta 4. Before Beta 4 it worked so long as I had no external monitor connected. "No camera available"

We have noticed this as continuing to be problematic even into 10.14.3.