Access iCloud files from iOS

I have a macOS app that has access to all of the users iCloud files. This means that the app can see any file that the user can see using the Files app in iOS. How can I get access to the same files programmatically from within iOS? I know how to get access to the files in the container for that iOS app, but I don’t see how to get access to all the users iCloud files like the Files app. I‘m sure it can be done because there are lots of file manager apps that access all the users iCoud files.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of zach.m Down vote post of zach.m
10k views

Replies

See: UIDocumentBrowserViewController https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uidocumentbrowserviewcontroller

Note it is for iOS 11.x

Check the docs on testing/working w/iCloud on simulator [Test iCloud] vs. device

This is missing still. For a device aimed for professional work is a shame there is no API for this. Example use case:

file organizer that shows ID3 metadata

It is impossible to create such an app without the (horrible) UX where a user first needs to move/copy files to the container of said application. In 2021!
  • Well, this is probably for security reasons. Imagine all the apps that are just waiting to spy on everything you do and have on your phone. TikTok and Meta/Facebook would have a field day

Add a Comment

[deleted]