iOS 12 beta causing system storage to increase until full

Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem before I file a Radar.

I bought a 16GB iPhone SE for development testing. After installing iOS 12, I noticed the "System" section of my storage would start increasing steadily until the storage would be completely full. I've already restored the phone and set up from new, and that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. In both cases, the system storage would start around 5.5GB, and then steadily increase over about 24 hours until the phone's storage is completely full.

I didn't install any apps, but I did enable iCloud on the device, but I even disabled Mail so I doubt any of these could be accounting for the huge increase in system storage.

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

I have very high system storage on both my ipad pro and iphone x since installing and running beta 1 and beta 2. In both cases the amount seems not to have changed from when I went from the first to second beta. Luckily, in both cases, i have maxed-out flash on the devices, so they are not filled up. It seems like system storage more or less stopped growing, too (at 30GB and 50GB for the two devices).

Definitely file a radar.

Not to invalidate your observations, but my X is sitting at 8.77GB "only". So it's thankfully definitly not everybody seeing this behaviour

True, not everyone. Lots of reports among the developer community on Twitter, though, so it’s not a very rare occurrence. It might depend on settings, etc.

Hi! I just upgraded to the lastest iOS 12 "third" public beta on an iPad Mini 4 Cellular and an iPhone X relased today. Both devices run a very similar set of applications and storage profiles. "System storage" on the iPad Mini 4 is only 1.2 gb and System storage on the iPhone X is a whopping 5.2 gb! (I didn't check on the earlier betas so not sure if this is a new issue or what?)

I and others I know have noticed this problem as well. Mine is currently taking up 22 gb.