7 Replies
      Latest reply on Apr 24, 2020 8:52 AM by Physalia
      HStriepe Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

It looks like 10.13.5 updated the Boot Rom on the Mac Pro 5,1 to MP51.0087.B00. This has been reported to miss the Intel microcode!

Another report indicates that Mojave Beta 2 flashes the older MP51.0085.B00.

My install did not revert the firmware.

Can firmware be reverted by the installer?

What are other Mac Pro users seeing?

• Re: Mac Pro Boot Rom
          sdietric Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My Mac Pro 2009 (flashed to 5,1 - upgraded processors and 7950 video card) said it needed an updated firmware, and it it's now MP51.0085.B00. Not sure about the microcode. But Mojave running surprisingly well, see image below.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,785 points)

>Can firmware be reverted by the installer?

AFAIK, no, only higher, never back.

Same thing w/phones, where beta firmware stays put when the OS is backed up, leaving a frankenOS that can only be leveled when the next release comes along.

Thanks for helping test.

HStriepe Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Thought so. Hope, you bump the number and put the microcode back.

Is the Mach kernel injection microcode?

>Hope, you bump the number and put the microcode back.

Not me. Talk to Apple...file a bug.

And am not touching any question that includes the word 'injection' in this context.

Good luck.

Physalia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Athough I'm on 10.14.6, I have a general question on the subject of Mac Pro 5,1 BootROM: Can a previous clean firmware data be re-installed on the same machine that has mantained it's hardware configuration?  I had some corruption issues, attempted a recovery install from Time Machine from an image that was also corrupted, the recovery install failed, and these kind of failures are known to leave 'tracks' on BootROM.  I've always kept a clean file of my original 144.0.0.0.0 rom data.  Anything I could be missing or need to be aware of?  This 144.0.0.0.0 rom data is the latest firmware update for the Mac Pro 5,1 to the best of my knowledge, and probably the last. Thanks!

Non-beta macOS questions are off-topic here, and best put to Apple's public community support forums, instead.

Physalia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thats too bad, this 'broad scope' question requiring just a 'yes' or 'no' answer would have been useful to developers at any level including beta, and even to those that don't know is not a good idea to go back in firmware (above.)  One less tool in your toolbox.