Ways to make MapKit JS available to other websites?

Hello there 🙂

I’m thinking about creating a module/plugin for mapkit js to make it easier to add Apple Maps to CMS-based websites when it leaves the beta phase. Not just for my own sites - but also for other people around the globe.

Unfortunately, the documentation says a (developer) authentication token is needed for mapkit js to work on websites and that would make my plan a bit useless because if someone else would like to use the plugin, she or he would have to get a (paid) apple developer account first. For the moment it’s not possible with a free Apple developer account to generate certificates or tokens. At least I couldn’t find a way to do that.

I’m quite new to the Apple developer universe and I don’t even know, if it is in the interest of Apple to make their maps available on as many sites as possible. Maybe they want to limit the usage to developer websites for a good reason. So, I really would appreciate if I could get some advice from you guys on my issue here.

I know the need for an authentication token is there for a reason (Restricting map initializations per day…).

But is there any way to make mapkit js available to other people in form of a plugin without requiring them to pay the 99$ for the developer account to create the authentication token? And would this even be allowed by the mapkit js terms of service? I read through them, but I’m still not sure about that.

Another option would be, to make it possible for anyone to create an authentication token for free (like Google does). Do you think there is any chance, it will be possible some day to create the necessary tokens with a free Apple developer account?

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this one. I really appreciate it.

Best regards

Volker

Replies

This probably won't happen until it leaves beta. Best thing to do is to make tools to help others create and utilize their own tokens.