Prepare supervised iPhone without SIM card using Apple Configurator 2

Greetings!

We are attempting to set up a “farm” of supervised iOS devices for testing purposes. Apple Configurator 2 would seem to be the logical choice as it will allow us to configure global HTTP proxy settings and other goodies.

The Problem:

Some of the devices are iPhones without SIM cards. Despite our best efforts, we have not been able to figure out a way to prepare such a device to be supervised as it complains that there is no SIM card. We’ve searched the web and seen all the solutions for resetting/erasing an iPhone without a SIM card, but none of those addressed getting such a device into supervised mode.

Requiring a SIM card, even if only temporarily, will be prohibitively expensive, especially as the size of the farm grows. Is there some clever workaround that will allow us to achieve this?

Thank you for your attention!

John

Replies

In my experience, I have found that the iPhones just need to see that a SIM is present. I have many test phones that have old non-active SIMs. After a phone is turned in and the plan in cancelled, I pull the SIM and save them for my test units.

I have also used new un-activated SIMs. Contact your service provider as ask for spare SIMs if you cannot track down old ones.