autolayout + splitViews = nightmarish behavior.

ok, there's no code here. I have splitviews embedded into other splitviews. I have a 3 panel vertical splitView, with a 2 panel horizontal splitView in the middle panel for instance (I actually have a handful of them, and they all are showing this behavior to some extent.)

in some cases, the pane Splitter control, will go outside Of it's enclosing view, and beyond the edge of the enclosing view.

its not every instance, but the deeper you go into one of these hierarchies, it is vastly more prevalent. This is a deal breaker. I need to shut this down. any ideas welcome.

there are constraints all over the place. I'm using autoLayout, and the general rule of thumb is: the deper you get the Less you want for your priority value. So far, every single time I add a constraint, IB destorys the entire ui, because their default priority is 1000, and that is massively higher than anything in my hierarchy, so it becomes the COG and crushes every single view. 'Tedious' does not begin to describe the autolayout system. Ham handed, backwards, poorly inspired. But the point is: I am paying attention to priority values, they don't seem to affect this issue.

I cannot have a splitView that allows, even in theory, the pane splitter to just dissapear.

Replies

What's a "splitView"? That's not a UIKit control. Is it some third party thing?

NSSplitView.

Mac OS X App NSControl subclass. might be a bit before your time.

>I have splitviews embedded into other splitviews.

Have you seen the docs on 'order of containment' as involves splitviews?

Gotcha. Not before my time; I still remember writing Mac OS code in Pascal 😁

But I only do iOS these days so I’ll stay out of this thread.