iOS Simulator 10.0 is very slow

Hi,

I just downloaded Xcode 10 Beta 1 and I found that iOS Simulator is much slower than the previous one.
My entire System (macOS High Sierra) become sluggish, like running at 2-3 fps...

I have a Mac Pro 2012 with a Non-Metal GPU. Is a GPU relative problem?

However Xcode 10 has removed the old iOS Simulator from Xcode 9.4 (non beta) package...

So I must re-download Xcode 9.4, very annoying.

Replies

Reinstall Xcode 9 doesn't work...

I solved deleting folder Library/Developer and installing MobileDevice.pkg, MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg and XcodeSystemResources.pkg from Xcode 9.4 package.

I had this same problem and PrinceCreed's soln worked for me. FYI, the installers he mentions are in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/

AFAIK, there have been no radars filed about this. Please file a radar including a sysdiagnose taken while the issue is reproducing.

I already opened a radar (#40816380)

I sent that radar back to you for information on June 7. If you're unable to provide the requested data, it will be closed soon. If you're interested in seeing this fixed, please run ‘xcrun simctl diagnose’ and ‘sudo sysdiagnose -q’ when in this state and attach the resulting tarballs. If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please file a radar with those data. Thanks.

I'm also experiencing this.

PrinceCreed, what's the radar URL?
I've submitted a bug report with all the diagnostic data attached: https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=41845440

Hello jeremyhu

I have the same problem as PrinceCreed. After installing XCode 10, all simulators are very slow. I have uninstalled XCode 10 again, but the simulators remain at version 10.

Version 10.0 (SimulatorApp-851.2 CoreSimulator-559).

I ran the data as you wrote. How can I send the two data to Apple?

I've created a bug report with all the data and they replied

"Please know that our engineering team has determined that this issue behaves as intended based on the information provided.

Finder is sizing a folder, that takes cpu cycles. This is partly why we don’t have sizing turned on by default."

Completely not willing to waste time on this again (this is laughable as xCode 9 simualtors work perfectly with the same Finder settings). When xCode 10 will be released, they'll get 1000x more complaints and will be forced to fix it.

Hi Jeremy, I just filed a radar with all the files you've requested. I'm also seeing this issue. And unfortunately PrinceCreed solution didn't work for me.

Edit: After further testing, I was able to find out the root of the problem. Removing Xcode 10 was not enough. But replacing the /Library/Developer/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSimulator.framework with an older version did get back to normal. Unfortunately this is not a real "fix". It just makes Xcode 9 re-usable again.

Absolutly same. I'm back to Xcode 9. And her use Simulator Version 10.0 (SimulatorApp-851.2 CoreSimulator-564.3). Apple, please say, how to toggle Xcode 9.4 back to Simulator 9?

Where to get older Simulator Framework? (9 Version)

When using macos 10.13.6 and xcode 10 on mac pro 5.1, starting the simulator it's getting so slow and lagging, that you cannot work. Also entire system is getting slow. Rolling back to xcode 9 woun't help. Only time machine helps. Rolled back to 10.13.4 and xcode 9. Tried xcode 10.1 beta, the problem still exists. Can't update this mac to Mohave because of Apple requires only cards with metall support((

I had the same problem with very slow simulator behavior on my Mac Pro 5.1 with XCode 10 (12 cores, 128GB RAM); simulator performance is fine on my Macbook Pro using XCode 10

In order to upgrade to Mojave I swapped to a metal-capabile GPU (supplied a few years ago by a well-known ******* based in Hollywood) and that solved the problem (well, either the graphics card or the Mojave upgrade did)

Any progress with this? I am experiencing the same.

I have the same issue, with the simulator open my mac becomes pretty much unuseable.

macOs 10.13.6

xcode 10.0