Rejected: advise on copyright issues

Good Morning,

It is more than one month I try to publish my app but Apple Review Team keep rejecting it.

My app is displaying soccer (and other sports) matches fixtures, schedules and scores.

Apple keep rejecting my apps arguing I don't have the right to display copyrighted data.

I removed the teams and leagues LOGOS but Apple Review team keep rejecting.

I tryed to propose some solutions and ask questions in Resolution Center or the App Review Information section but the reviewer never answered any questions.

Is someone can advise me what to do ?

I also checked the copyright information on various sports website it seems I would be able to display matches data. For logos I proposed to display very small version (30px x 30px) and provide a contact form in the app in case a third party would ask to remove copyrighted data.

Is anybody has an idea how to get an answer from App review Team. They never answered anay question.

Best regards

Eric

Replies

Apple historically takes a hard line against sports team copyright misuse. They see it all the time, in various degrees, but with consistent results. You're talking to a wall...

> I removed the teams and leagues LOGOS but Apple Review team keep rejecting...... For logos I proposed to display very small version (30px x 30px) and provide a contact form in the app in case a third party would ask to remove copyrighted data.

These two statements are not consistent with each other. Which is it? No logos or the contact form? If the later - that's violating their copyrights.

> I also checked the copyright information on various sports website it seems I would be able to display matches data.

You can try resubmitting without the logos (not even the small logos) and leave a note for App Review that you have permission to display the data you are displaying. Include screenshots where "it seems I would be able to display matches data" to support that statement.

Hi PBK,

Thanks for your answer.

I removed all the logos. I only asked a question about a solution based on the contact form for third parties claims.

Anyway, they rejected again regarding the name of teams (I suppose because this is unclear) such as Atletico Madrid.

On wikipedia, these logos and names are under fair use in some way so I don't know who is right.

Plus, regarding the Soccer World Cup (Russia 2018), I displayed for example "France vs Germany" with their respective national flags. What is copryrighted in this case ? => nothing. I don't display any FIFA logo or names ....

I asked Apple Review Team to provide some legal document / proof they oppose : no answer.

To complete my question:

Is anybody knows if it would help if I remove my app from US App Store and then re-submit it for review ?

I guess Apple is less restrictive on other stores than US App Store ?

I ran into a similar issue regarding the FIFA Worldcup, my app got rejected. I don't use any FIFA logo or so. Apple review provided a screenshot of the World Cup schedule in my app.

It took me 5 minutes to find out that the schedule acutally is their property. They don't allow commercial use of the schedule itself!

I reached out to FIFA and asked whether it is nececssary to get a license form them just to show the schedule in an app.

In this article there is a PDF linked which listst their trademarks and examples what is not allowed:

https://fifa.com/about-fifa/marketing/brand-protection/index.html

I do face similar rejection for using scriptures that are more than 2000 years old. These scriptures are like Bible or testaments or other golden days assets. People use them for their well being.

The Apple Reviewer does not seem to understand this and keeps telling to submit document for rights. I hope the reviewers get trained well.