SoupChef Siri Shortcut not working

Using the sample code for shortcuts here, https://developer.apple.com/documentation/sirikit/accelerating_app_interactions_with_shortcuts I am unable to get the shortcut to execute. Siri simply responds with "Sorry, there was a problem with the app."

No ammount of logging or attempts at attaching the debugger provide more information.

Has anyone got this working? I am using the iPhone X Simulator on 12.0 beta 1 with Xcode 10 beta 1.

Accepted Reply

Yes, I can now confirm it works on a real phone. Even though it has no requestSiriAuthorization, or Siri privacy description plist entry which I thought was really strange at first - but I think I understand a bit better now.

This app doesn't actually let you say something like "Order 1 Tomato Soup using Soup Chef" to Siri, which would then proceed making the order using Siri Intent UI, like you can do with a SiriKit app that, for example, sends messages (one of the pre-approved SiriKit intent domains). This app only lets you manually save a shortcut (and it also automatically donates a shortcut when you make an order) for an action you've performed. So really, considering that user is 100% in charge of creating or using these shortcuts, there's no need for some kind of prior Siri authorization, I guess.

I'm not sure anymore if it's really even possible to create an app in iOS12 that would do the "Order 1 Tomato Soup using Soup Chef" custom intent parsing, without a prior shortcut creation? Watching Craig's presentation of the Tile app, and other quick examples he gave, they all seem to behave a lot like the Soup Chef app - you only record a voice shortcut to an already established action, and there's no custom intent parsing. This is something I'm very ineterested in, as I could apply it to my apps, but even just shortcuts creation alone is very good to have, to be honest. I can implement that in my apps in many useful ways.

Replies

In that case, you might want to move this to theiOS 12 beta forum.

Details on moving a thread: For Best Results - Read the Label

I was able to get it to work on an actual device running iOS 12, but not in the Simulator.

I ran into an exact same problem with the demo app, running in the simulator. In fact, all I could really do through Siri is just open the app, no matter what phrase I used.

Something to note - the app is not using the requestSiriAuthorization method, and it doesn't have the Privacy / Siri Usage description key in the info.plist either, so I'm not really sure how it can even work at all, and what it's meant to do?

Interesting regarding requestSiriAuthorization. I'll try adding that to see if it changes anything.

Requesting authorization doesn't help, I'll have to load 12 on an actual device and try that.

Yes, I can now confirm it works on a real phone. Even though it has no requestSiriAuthorization, or Siri privacy description plist entry which I thought was really strange at first - but I think I understand a bit better now.

This app doesn't actually let you say something like "Order 1 Tomato Soup using Soup Chef" to Siri, which would then proceed making the order using Siri Intent UI, like you can do with a SiriKit app that, for example, sends messages (one of the pre-approved SiriKit intent domains). This app only lets you manually save a shortcut (and it also automatically donates a shortcut when you make an order) for an action you've performed. So really, considering that user is 100% in charge of creating or using these shortcuts, there's no need for some kind of prior Siri authorization, I guess.

I'm not sure anymore if it's really even possible to create an app in iOS12 that would do the "Order 1 Tomato Soup using Soup Chef" custom intent parsing, without a prior shortcut creation? Watching Craig's presentation of the Tile app, and other quick examples he gave, they all seem to behave a lot like the Soup Chef app - you only record a voice shortcut to an already established action, and there's no custom intent parsing. This is something I'm very ineterested in, as I could apply it to my apps, but even just shortcuts creation alone is very good to have, to be honest. I can implement that in my apps in many useful ways.

Thanks for reporting back!

Based on the intent definition it seemed like you could parse some spoken parameters. There is a "Search" category which suggests that at least. Can't wait for the sessions to learn more!

I've also now confirmed that this is working on an actual device.

Interesting - I can't get it to work on the device, just getting 'sorry, there was a problem with the app' and the debugger isn't much help.

Yeah, I get the same thing as well now. App was working great two days ago, I even implemented this functionality into my app, and that was working great too. But ever since yesterday, it all just stopped, and I get the same error in Soup Chef, as well as in my app. I think they might be doing something on the server side that has interrupted this functionality for the time being.

I can confirm on my end that I am seeing the same here. I just keep getting the "sorry there is a problem with the app" response. I can see the shortcuts showing up on my homescreen when I enable the developer flag for it to do so, however, just speaking to Siri does not seem to work.

I’m having the same problem with the Soup Chef sample app.

I'm seeing the same problem in my test app. The intent handler does however work as expected if I return a failure code instead of success. In that case, the intent handler extension is even able to provide a custom response property that gets correctly incorporated into the response.

—Chris

Same for me, I just get this error both on my app and on SoupChef

Same here, the SoupChef worked fine for a few days for Siri Voice Input and just stopped working at a sudden, I even tried the Weather app, cannot regonized the command, I found the loading time for all the shortcuts in the Settings app becomes very long somehow. Not sure if it's due to some cache messed up or not. Not happy though : (

Will try the next beta