Changing an app name

Hello,

We understand how to change our app's name, but it appears that there is a review process before the name will be published.

I am confused by this process. I own a private limited company in the UK central to this application. I need to be certain that I can rename it to the new name I've selected on the App Store so that I can ensure the website shows correctly under the new name, the limited company is renamed, our customers are informed... the list goes on.

I also need to have a new logo designed for the application, and in order to do that I need to know that the new app name is available. It wouldn't make sense for me to rebrand/rename changing all of the app style/brand, and then to have the name rejected and have to reverse it all.

I initially thought I could perhaps just create a new version and set to pending developer release, but the time that the name is reviewed is after this process and therefore this will make no difference.

Has anyone else had this same problem? I have contacted developer support and they have told me there is nothing that I can do alleviate this problem as it is this way to ensure it is "fair for all developers". In my eyes, I think it's pretty unfair not to know this vital information before committing to a change for an app with a wide audience!

Accepted Reply

The way the process works is that you add a version, based on a intent to update, and change the name in that app's meta data via iTunes Connect - if the name is already in use by another developer, regardless if the other app has completed approval and gone to the store for sale/distribution, the backend won't let you proceed further w/your add/submission.

That check will occur well before you are presented with 'pending developer release'.

-=-

Love how the forum doesn't know the time... "Your content was last auto-saved at 1:06 AM"

• Is this still relevant? Because you can update an app's name in the App Store Connect.

Add a Comment

Replies

The way the process works is that you add a version, based on a intent to update, and change the name in that app's meta data via iTunes Connect - if the name is already in use by another developer, regardless if the other app has completed approval and gone to the store for sale/distribution, the backend won't let you proceed further w/your add/submission.

That check will occur well before you are presented with 'pending developer release'.

-=-

Love how the forum doesn't know the time... "Your content was last auto-saved at 1:06 AM"

• Is this still relevant? Because you can update an app's name in the App Store Connect.

Add a Comment