Best MacBook Pro processor for developing

Hi everyone. I am very new to developing and was looking for a computer that is able to handle developing apps in Xcode smoothly. I am currently using a 2017 iMac with

• 3.0GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
  • 8GB of DDR4 RAM

I was looking at MacBook Pros with 16GB of RAM because the 8GB I currently have is being used up and it slows everything down. However I'm not sure which processor would be best, if they will even make a difference at all. The processors I was considering are

• 3.1GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 3.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
  • 2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 2.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

I am assuming that developing puts quite a bit of strain on processors and that a higher clock speed will make a difference in developing (but if I am wrong, please correct me). Given that these are dual-core instead of the current quad-core processor I am using, should I base my decision off of the normal clock speed or the maximum Turbo Boost speed? Also, is there a noticible difference between i5 and i7 processors? Sorry for the abundance of questions 😁, once again I am very new to all of this. Thank you!!

Accepted Reply

Of course, the faster processor, the faster complie, faster xCode.

But that's not the most important.

My personal ranking for usability :

- RAM available (for speed and good operation of XCode) : 16GB as a minimum

- Disk size (to install new versions, tools, frequently save project versions, …) : 500 GB should be available for XCode

- Screen size (for comfort and productivity) : 15"" as minimum, if possible an external monitor for 21" or more

- Processor speed, only ranking 4th

Replies

Of course, the faster processor, the faster complie, faster xCode.

But that's not the most important.

My personal ranking for usability :

- RAM available (for speed and good operation of XCode) : 16GB as a minimum

- Disk size (to install new versions, tools, frequently save project versions, …) : 500 GB should be available for XCode

- Screen size (for comfort and productivity) : 15"" as minimum, if possible an external monitor for 21" or more

- Processor speed, only ranking 4th

Yep, what Claude said.

As well, Apple engrs. tell us Xcode loves max physical ram and a fast SSD (T5 FTW). Otherwise, any modern mac can handle the load, just keep in mind you might not just be using Xcode - depending on the type of app, you could have an image, video, audio editor also up and running, not to mention Safari, Mail, etc. etc.

Figure out how much hard drive you need, then double it, then double it again. Don't forget a backup, and treat yourself to as many large monitors you can hook up.

Right 12k = L9, no change - expecting L10 to be 20k...that should resemble a pyramid/bowling pin layout 4,3,2,1. Betting they redo devForums and make everyone start over (again) before anyone here sees L10, tho.

Yet another devForums 'makes-no-sense' oddity all around, I guess, and clearly a different points system from the public forums (similar forum package courtesy JIVE Software): https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9255 - I've got more than twice the points over there, but one lower L ...haven't participated there since the last time they revamped the UI back in 2013 (?).

You're coming up quick - pls. keep up the good work 😉

-=-

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic.