Embedding UISplitViewController into a Tab Bar Controller

I am working on an app in which I want to embed a UISplitViewController in a Tab Bar Controller. Bascially, when you click on one of the tabs, a UISplitViewController will appear where users can select a case from the master view and view the details in the detail view. I came accorss the following note in UISplitViewController's documentation:

Although it is possible to install a split view controller as a child in some other container view controllers, doing is not recommended in most cases.

I am tryintg to understand the logic begind this advice:

Why is not recommended in most cases?

Which cases is it okay to break away from this general advice?

The iTunes U App seems to have a SplitViewController inside a tab bar controller and its quite prevalent, it seems to be breaking away from the advice (maybe for a good reason that i dont know)?

Accepted Reply

SVC inside TBC is allowed. And good on you for trying to honor the otherwise usual admonition that SVC should be root.

From the docs on 'Order of Containment': https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/WindowsViews/Conceptual/ViewControllerCatalog/Chapters/CombiningViewControllers.html

-=-

Combined View Controller Interfaces

You can use the view controllers that the UIKit framework provides by themselves or in conjunction with other view controllers to create even more sophisticated interfaces. When combining view controllers, however, the order of containment is important; only certain arrangements are valid. The order of containment, from child to parent, is as follows:

• Content view controllers, and container view controllers that have flexible bounds (such as the page view controller)
  • Navigation view controller
  • Tab bar controller
  • Split view controller

-=-

Replies

SVC inside TBC is allowed. And good on you for trying to honor the otherwise usual admonition that SVC should be root.

From the docs on 'Order of Containment': https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/WindowsViews/Conceptual/ViewControllerCatalog/Chapters/CombiningViewControllers.html

-=-

Combined View Controller Interfaces

You can use the view controllers that the UIKit framework provides by themselves or in conjunction with other view controllers to create even more sophisticated interfaces. When combining view controllers, however, the order of containment is important; only certain arrangements are valid. The order of containment, from child to parent, is as follows:

• Content view controllers, and container view controllers that have flexible bounds (such as the page view controller)
  • Navigation view controller
  • Tab bar controller
  • Split view controller

-=-