How long do I need to build this app?

I am building an iOS app with Google sign-in Facebook sign-in, comment/like system, todo lists, and simple chat system with Swift and Firebase. I am doing open source programming. How much time do I actually need? I used almost 9 months for doing it and haven't finish because of debugging and the storyboard is too slow.

Do you all think I took a lot time? Why I take so much time? How can I improve?

Please help me, Thanks.

Replies

It is pretty hard to answer your question, depend how sophisticated your app is but much more of your skill level.

probably a skilled programmer, will achieve this in a few weeks.

But if this is your first IOS app, and you have to learn XCode, Swift, all the API, how to architecture app, and how to publish an app… it is not abnormal to need much more time.

May be you were a bit ambitious for a first app, trying to cram too many things in your version 1.

Don't be discouraged in this case, the second app will be much faster to develop.

My first app took me 3 weeks....my last app took 10 months.

It's normal when you are learning, to spend a alot of time making slow progress. The hope is it will all be an investment as you move forward, and the next app will go quicker.

If you have a decent app, get it in the store and then improve it step by step, adding features, polishing the UI, etc.

The problem with taking so long these days is that the tools and store requirements change as a routine, and if you wait too long, you'll be back at the beginning, just trying to get something that is compatible with current iOS and hardware, and not having time to make changes that you want for yourself and your users.

Next time I go back to China, I'm tempted to run clinics and help others make apps instead of working on my own...

Ken