The document “Time Profiler.tracetemplate” could not be opened. Instruments cannot open files of this type.

I can't use Instruments at all because of this message. I only found one thread on the web about it, saying to run some sudo command on a directory that doesn't exist for me. Anyone know how to fix this error?

Accepted Reply

Deleting Xcode and reinstalling it did absolutely nothing.

But then I searched for Instruments.app with Spotlight and discovered an old copy of Instruments.app. I deleted that old copy (NOT part of the Xcode bundle), and now I'm able run Instruments with the Time Profiler.

The problem was an old copy of Instruments that had not been previously deleted.

Replies

Did you read this ?

h ttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/29914660/instruments-application-cant-open-tracetemplate-file

They propose a command to run in Terminal (to open, just type Terminal in the finder search)

sudo chmod a+rwxt /Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.instruments

this will clear a cache file.

I've not tested it.

Yes that is the sudo command I referred to. That directory/file "/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.instruments" does not exist on my computer, nor is there anything resembling it there.

I have the same issue and none of the aforementioned solutions work for me. DId you find a solution? I'm running Xcode 9.3.1

Nope - I'm completely unable to use Instruments. Please post here if you find a solution!

Deleting Xcode and reinstalling it did absolutely nothing.

But then I searched for Instruments.app with Spotlight and discovered an old copy of Instruments.app. I deleted that old copy (NOT part of the Xcode bundle), and now I'm able run Instruments with the Time Profiler.

The problem was an old copy of Instruments that had not been previously deleted.

Wow, thanks! That was a good find. I had the same thing in my /Developer folder. I just changed the name to Instruments_Old.app and now my regular Instruments works again. So weird.