Payment gateway outside AppStore

Hello,

I am developing an application for a client who wants to offer mobile top-up products to their customers via their own payment solution (something like PayPal). I know in-app purchases outside AppStore are forbiden, but I also know there are applications that offer these kinds of transactions. For example banking application (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/m-zaba/id367809781?mt=8) offers their clients to buy mobile top-up products directly from their application and it is charged from their bank accounts. I have personal experience with this app and I know it works. Also I know I can make transactions with my PayPall app and I am pretty sure these don't include AppStore payment mechanisms.

How is this possible with all these in-app purchases rules by Apple? Obviously it is possible, but under which conditions?

Replies

Nothing has changed since the last 50 times this has come up. Billing outside the app and appearing to stay in the app during that process is common. Don't misinterpret that such practice violates the ASRGs.

An issue for Apple occurs when the user thinks that Apple is -principally- involved in the payment/transaction. As long as the UI doesn't give that impression, apps as you describe can go about their business as usual.

The guidelines were clarified years ago to indicate that you can use third party payment systems from within the app to make purchases that do not require using IAP - with the exception of gambling apps (5.3), other-people's-charity collection (3.2.2iv), and certain restrictions on 'reader apps' (3.1.3).

So is your question - 'does the thing I am selling require using IAP' or is your question 'may I place a third party payment system into the app?' These are very different questions.