UIManagedDocument "Additional content is not supported on iCloud"

I am trying to find the right solution for migrating existing apps to be document-based apps. They all make heavy use of Core Data as well as store additional content that the user imports. UIManagedDocument seemed like a no-brainer, since it provides UIDocument support and has APIs for "Additional content", however the documentation states that "Additional content is not supported in iCloud". The primary motiviation for moving to a document-based app is to allow users to store their documents anywhere, including in the cloud, so this is obviously concerning.

I cannot find any additional details on this stipulation, primarily:

1. Is this referring to the deprecated iCloud Core Data, or does this also preclude storing "additional content" in managed documents that are stored on iCloud drive?
    The call to writeAdditionalContent() appears to be using NSFileCoordinator (based on the call stack), so I am hoping this is just for iCloud Core Data, but I cannot find any mention of it elsewhere.
  2. If the "additional content" API cannot be used with documents that can be saved to iCloud Drive, is there a recommended solution for storing both Core Data and custom content inside a document package (e.g. override writeContents, or subclass UIDocument and manage the core data stack myself)? All the guides recommend using UIManagedDocument.

I can't imagine I am the only one trying to do this, so any help would be much appreciated!