Map snapshot as overlay

Hi

I’m working on a map based app for doing geographical surveys which will be used in locations where internet connectivity doesn’t exist. This is my first app so I’m learning as I go.

I understand that I can take snapshots of a map (while on-line of course) and am wondering if it’s feasible/allowed to save these images and use them later as overlays when there is no data connection.

My questions then are:

a) is this a valid approach?

b) when capturing the map image would the region details be available so it can be used as a tile/overlay?

I‘ve discussed using open street map tiles with a non-developer friend who has sveral years experience with them as a user and have been told they can be problematic at best. Also, I’d very much like to avoid using third party functionality.

Thanks very much

Mark

Replies

OK... so I experimented a little and it seems the maps are cached automatically as in:

I browse the map to a place I’ve never been on the other side of the world, switched between map and satellite view, closed the app completely, switched to airplane mode and then went back to the app. The map detail was still available, nice 🙂

Is this cached data reliable Or does it get purged? If so when?

Thanks again