Post not yet marked as solved
4 Replies
17k Views
I have a 1TB external hard drive made by Seagate which I use for Time Machine backups. It is not showing up as mounted, and doesn't show up in a graphical interface anywhere in the system at all. On my desktop, I do not see my drive connected, and it doesn't show up in a Finder window under the devices sidebar tab. Doesn't show up in Disk Utility either (actually Disk Utility won't even load/launch at all while my drive is connected). I ran "diskutil list" in Terminal, and my drive did show up there. I also tried "diskutil mount /dev/disk2s2" in Terminal to try to mount my hard drive from the command line, but Terminal would freeze up almost immediately. I also plugged my drive into a Chromebook and the Chromebook could read every file on my drive. I have already checked the cable and the connectors on each end, and that's not the problem. I can safely assume that this is a problem with my personal MacBook Pro or with my drive only. Re formatting my hard drive is an option I would like to stay away from, although it is somewhat feasible. I've already tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM, along with re-installing a new copy of macOS via Recovery boot mode, and none of that worked. I have tried almost everything, and it looks like I'm gonna have to re-format my drive. But before I do that, does anyone have any other suggestions I could try?Idealy, I'm looking for a setting/file to change via Finder or Terminal to force my MacBook to be able to read/write to my drive.Here a few screenshots. These were all taken with my hard drive plugged into my computer. Sorry if they are ginormous in size. I have blurred out some sensitive info.This has been going on for almost 3 weeks now. Any ideas for how I can solve this problem/get my drive to show up??Thanks in advance for anything!!~ Capt Inc - Feb 28 201713" MacBook Pro with Retina display (Early 2015 model) running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta 16E175b
Posted
by Capt Inc.
Last updated