Xcode for iPad Pro

I am curious Apple is pushing iPad Pro to Enterprise. Are they planning to make xcode available on iPad Pro?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of smliaquat Down vote post of smliaquat
140k views

Replies

Here is something else TC recently said...

"We feel strongly that customers are not really looking for a converged Mac and iPad. Because what that would wind up doing, or what we’re worried would happen, is that neither experience would be as good as the customer wants. So we want to make the best tablet in the world and the best Mac in the world. And putting those two together would not achieve either. You'd begin to compromise in different ways".

The reason why Xcode requires all the OS X stuff is because it is currently only designed for developing on OS X. They can easily remove that kind of depedencies if porting to iOS. The only thing that is essentially required in this case is a compiler, which is not a technical problem at all.

No one said it's simply a technical problem...

Everything is possible! Xcode will most certainly be available for iPad in the future. Would be cool to have an iPad with lets say 3 ultra-thin screens folded together, where you can detach each screen to be separate. All connected by bluetooth. That would be love....:-)...

I'd love to see an iOS companion app to Xcode even if it was not full featured or maybe re-imagined to make development easier. It could integrate with OS X Server or TestFlight for building and launching. I'm sure someone will write a Swift IDE now that SourceKit and PackageManager are open source.

Now there's an idea. Unfortunately, though, I'm not sure it would be realistically feasible 😟.

Since when did Apple start aiming for the "realistically feasible" ? Of course it can be done, and I think it should be done sooner rather than later! I would love to code on the releasing platform occasionally, and it would add to Apples competitive edge!

I'd be happy to just see support for playgrounds.

You could still write books, blog posts and teach with something like that.

Hi Kasuist ;-)

if you where talking about Swift Playgrounds... Then IBM ( Apples new friend ) has got that covered, take a peek at

https://swiftlang.ng.bluemix.net/?cm_mmc=developerWorks-_-dWdevcenter-_-swift-_-lp#/repl

It's not quite what the folks above are requesting, an Xcode app for iOS. But if you have an Internet connection, the IBM Cloud based build engine sorta fits I would suggest.

this is exactly what I was after! thanks!

That is would be great to have XCode for iPad Pro.

For the haters Swift Playgrounds for iPad iOS10. Not XCode.. Yet.. But you guys gotta stop saying stuff can't be done. "Goonies never say die"

Has anyone heard anything about at least plans to run XCode on the new IPad Pro? because that would be the only reason I would buy the IPad Pro at that price

I'm surprised, iPad pro is very powerful but unfortunately comparing with its rival "Microsoft surface", it's suffer from a fundamental issue and that is its operating system. Surface uses such OS which is used in an usual laptop or PC; So user can install EVERY software that use in his laptop or PC, on his Surface as well without any concerns!

I hope some day this makes happen for iPad pro too. ( i.e it uses OSX which is used in macbook or mac, instead of iOS). After that we'll be able to install/use all of our applications and program which are used on our macbook, on our iPad pro as well!

Put macOS on a tablet and watch MBP sales drop...instant cannibalizationn of the better revenue stream. Why would Apple do that when they've got both streams paying off now.

MS would love to have Apple's razor and blades business model, except for all the hardware vendors they'd break promise to, but even if they can't sell razors, at least they still have loads of blades to push.

New MBPs to be announced soon, I think, so devs rejoice 😉