Viewing PPT on new tv

I have an existing app called Adventures In Ministry that I built for a church. They would like to port it over to the tv. The main part of the app is used for displaying lyrics of songs (we have the licensing for copyright issues, so that's not a problem). There are over 450 songs, all in .PPT format. On iOS, I simply load that up in a UIWebView to display, but obviously that will not work. What are some suggestions you all would have for either displaying the PPT files, or if it would be better to convert to a different format, and use some other method of displaying?

Replies

why not batch process the ppt's into pngs?

do they have to be in ppt format? is there any interactivity?

There is no interactivity. My concern with PNGs would be the file size. Some of the PPT files have close to 20 slides, so would be looking at at least 2000+ PNGs for the 450+ songs.

open and save them into pptx format, then you can un-zip them and dig out the original images and texts as XML strings.

not beautiful solution, but do-able

Do you have the content as text? why cant you code it into the app....you could update it via a Json file and never have to worry about file size

I'm working on an open source project, Swipe (https://github.com/snakajima/swipe), which will solve this problem.

The souce code will become available within a few weeks (I need to clean up the source code, and update the documentation), but it will be quite straightforward to convert it to a tvOS app. I can probably show you how to do it by converting first few pages.

So basically add text to Json file, somehow designating the different songs with text, and then how do you go about having it auto size the text based on screen size and amount of text to format it properly on screen?

That would be awesome. I had seen you discuss this a little bit on the Facebook group, and would greatly appreciate any help you can give. My email is tbrass84 at yahoo dot com

How do I use swipe ?

Any sample or tutorial would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Satish

I have got them all converted to PDF, but now stuck on rendering a PDF on Apple TV without UIWebView SMH