iOS 9.2 Unable to install managed app from MDM

After upgrading to iOS 9.2 managed apps are failing to install. We are seeing the following error message in the device logs:

12/9/15, 1:53:07 PM mdmd[661]: (Note ) MDM: App “[app.bundle.name]” state changed from Prompting to Failed.

Anyone else seeing the same issue?

Accepted Reply

iOS 9.2.1 was released today at 10am PST. From the testing I've been able to do this has resolved the issue which is the same result I saw using the beta version.

Replies

We are on MobileIron Core 7.5.3.0 - Not seeing the issue as of now. I have noticed the "Force Device Checkin" is not working but when you drill down to device details it says the client checked in. So the record in the table doesn't appear to force update for Device Checkin..
I think its working on its own though. I updated to 9.2 last week. My device shows it checked in 10hours ago.

I do see 9.2 devices checking in so I am trying to determine if we are with any issues. Does not appear so ...

Has Apple offically identified this as a bug?

In MobileIron, the 'Client check-in' is the MobileIron App and the 'Last check-in' is the Apple MDM check-in. The Apple MDM check-in is not working all the time correctly since iOS 9.2 and managed apps cannot be installed.

Apple is in co-operation with MDM vendors (and also with MobileIron) and is currently working on a solution for this.

Regards

Patrick

Airwatch is saying that they believe it is fixed on the 8.1+ consoles:

"Based on internal testing, this issue appears to be largely mitigated in environments currently on AIrWatch 8.1+ due to improvements to our app management workflow, but is experienced more frequently in earlier versions of the AirWatch Console."

Yeah - today I got new feedback - it works but too worse and slowly - device not always contact MDM server.

So, the problem is not yet completely resolved.

New details: It works on iphone 6s but doesn't works on iphone 5 and ipads.
UPD: It works on iphone 5s.
UPD#2: mdmd process crashes on InstallApplication or ManagedApplicationList commands.

Known issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205654

Apple just released 9.2.1 beta which includes fix for this issue:

Fixes a problem in iOS 9.2 that could prevent managed app installation. In iOS 9.2, if a Mobile Device Management (MDM) server sends an InstallApplication command to device, and then sends a ManagedApplicationList command before the app installation is finished, the app installation will not complete

Glad 9.2.1 is coming out so quickly.

While you're waiting, you can fix this with on prem Airwatch pretty easily:

delete from [deviceCommandQueue].[DeviceQueue] WHERE StatusID = 2 AND CommandID = 23

I have confirmed that 9.2.1 does correct the issue. I have installed the beta on my iPad - once the update completed the device was checking in with no issues and managed apps installed with no problem. We are using MobileIron as our MDM.

Thanks

MDM vendor Citrix version XenMobile MDM 9.0

After upating device to 9.2.1 check-in still didn't pull software inventory correctly and re-push a managed application that had been uninstalled. After reenroll the policies pushed as expected. I removed app again to see if policy check-in worked as expected and repush the app. The initial re-push failed stating error: "Error MCMDMErrorDomain-12026: The app XXXXXXXX is already scheduled for management. (The app XXXXXXX is already scheduled for management." Once I opend the WorX Home agent on iPhone and refresh policy the app installation started. I hope the final release addresses the issue or there may need to be a patch released by the MDM vendors to permanently resolve the problem.

Any idea on the ETA for the formal release of 9.2.1, since Apple stopped signing for 9.1 the critically of this fix to MDM system has become even more heighten

Where are you suggesting this change should be made? And what version on-prem did you test this in?

For those on the XenMobile platform, Citrix issued a note on December 21st that XenMobile Server 10.3 was available for download (for those with an on-premise environment).

"As mentioned in the last communication, XenMobile Server 10.3 provides a solution to an issue with iOS 9.2 MDM APIs and the inability to push applications. Updating your XenMobile server to the latest version 10.3 will fix this issue by executing a command that allows the iOS MDM to restart and begin pushing apps to the device as before iOS 9.2."

Today Citrix sent out a second communication for those on XenMobile 9 Device Manager and it indicates that Patch_900_9924 is available for download as well. Definitely take a moment to look at the pre-requisites as it does require a couple of patch roll-ups to be installed in advance on both Device Manager and the App Controller. Also take note that there is the caveat that some devices still might require a re-enroll anyways...

"We are pleased to announce that XenMobile 9 Device Manager Server Patch (Patch_900_9924)for iOS 9.2 is now available for download.

The XenMobile 9 Device Manager patch provides a solution to an issue with iOS 9.2 MDM APIs and the inability to push applications. Updating XenMobile Device Manager with this latest patch will fix this issue by executing a command that allows the iOS MDM to restart and begin pushing apps to the device as before iOS 9.2.

The Citrix solution will continue to co-exist even after Apple provides a permanent fix in iOS 9.2.1. That is, after Apple releases a permanent fix to the public, the Citrix solution will check for the Apple fix in clients that have installed iOS 9.2.1, and if present, it will go dormant and not execute thereby allowing the Apple fix to be primary.

Since the standalone patch will be independent of all prior roll up patches for the Device Manager server, you can safely apply it to your XenMobile 9 platform to fix the Apple iOS 9.2 issue.

Any device types or operating systems that do not recognize the workaround provided with the Device Manager patch will still be required to re-enroll until the forthcoming release of iOS 9.2.1."

We are still on XenMobile 9 and are in the process of determining an upgrade path. We might wait until iOS 9.2.1 is released and then perform the update.

Have you been successfull in applying the patch (Patch_900_9924) on your XDM 9.0 servers?

Same here. Also using Citrix XenMobile 10.