Xcode 7.2 Playground not working

Hi,

I am getting this error every time I am trying to start new playground.

Playground execution terminated because the playground process exited unexpectedly

I tried these :

1) restart Xcode = did not work

2) restart Mac (El Capitain OS) = did not work

3) sudo xcode-select --install = did not work

4) sudo xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/ = did not work

Also this ouputs:

xcode-select -v

out: xcode-select version 2343

xcode-select -p

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

Any idea?

any other options I could use?

Accepted Reply

I was successful with a less drastic measure:

1. Reboot your machine (and do not use Xcode yet - otherwise there might be errors later)

2. Delete the contents of ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices (typically it contains a directory with a name which is the UDID of the simulated device)

3. Start Xcode and open an iOS playground. This recreated the contents of ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices.

4. Happy playing in the iOS playground (at least for me)

Replies

Glad someone else is experianced this. I have the same problem after the upgrade to 7.2.

I have put in a Technical Support Instance today for this issue. Just opening a new playground, the unexpected termination error occurs on "hello playground".

Exactly.

I will try to reinstall xcode 7.2. That darn thing is 4.73GB it takes time over corporate WiFi.

Don't bother...I did that and it still didn't work

I think deleteing the folder of ~/Library/Developer/ and restarts mac os x should helps. I had exactly the same issue and I fixed it by doing above. Here are what I did exactly:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25996714/playground-execution-terminated-because-the-playground-process-exited-unexpected/34257420#34257420

Hope this helps.

Thanks Nuber19.

That worked but just wanted to add one comment. I first deleted the library and rebooted but didn't empty the folder. That worked. I saw that the folder contained simulator profiles so I put the folder back and the playground didn't work. So one by one I removed the Simulator Profiles ...ultimately all of them and the Playground worked. So you don't have to delete the folder structure just the simulators in the sub folder.

OSX 10.11.2 and Xcode 7.2

I was successful with a less drastic measure:

1. Reboot your machine (and do not use Xcode yet - otherwise there might be errors later)

2. Delete the contents of ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices (typically it contains a directory with a name which is the UDID of the simulated device)

3. Start Xcode and open an iOS playground. This recreated the contents of ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices.

4. Happy playing in the iOS playground (at least for me)

I will tell tales of your kindness for years to come. Thank you so much!

Thank you for your answer! It was really helpfull.

Even those steps did not work in my case. Tried almost all things mentioned on this post. Still same. Not able to use playground.

This solved my problem as well (for now). Thanks. I submitted a bug report on this.

24122905 Xcode 7.2 (7C68) Playground not working

That worked for me. Thank you.

First I tried deleting all the files in ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices but not exiting Xcode, then starting a new playground. Playground started but after a short time gave the "exited unexpectedly" message. I also tried deleting the whole directory ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices -- same result. I also tried exiting Xcode and starting it again -- same result.

Then, following your procedure, I rebooted and launched Xcode again with no ~/Library/Developer/XCPG directory. I selected Start With a Playground on the splash screen. After what seemed like too long a time (at least 60 seconds) Playground started and worked as expected. Happiness!

Thanks. That did it for me.

I closed Xcode, went to the ~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes and deleted manually alll the .simruntime files.

Then I restarted Xcode playground and it worked.

I then downloaded the simultors again from Xcode Preferences Download.

Next I ran a project and it seems all good now.

I had to get over my reluctance to destroy some files to repair this.

Alternatively:

1. close Xcode
  2. killall com.apple.CoreSimulator.CoreSimulatorService
  3. delete or rename the ~/Library/Developer/XCPGDevices directory
  4. restart Xcode