Xcode 7.1 crashing continuously on IB

Just updated to Xcode 7.1 and it's crashing so many times it's becoming impossible to work with.

The crashes happen when in Interface Builder, and modifying anything's font (in my case to Custom -> Georgia 18 Bold).

It happened so much even on a newly created pretty simple test project that has few Stack views containing one Label and one Button or Textfield, at first thought because of the Preview, which is now disabled.

Is there any reason for the crashes or is it another Xcode 6.3 fiasco with the need to manually edit the project container?

I don't think it's the machine/OS (a fairly new iMac Retina, 32Gig Apple Ram, pretty empty SSD and fresh install of both El-Capitan 10.11.1 and Xcode 7.1)

The project is also a simple interface with nearly no code (at least no overrides or preview modifiers, just buttons linkink to "dismiss viewcontroller").

Thanks

Replies

Thanks for the feedback.

It would have been cool it they had a system to update all "closed for duplicate" bugs, rather than having to hunt down for people with pieces of info ... But guess rdar is in intself broken.

We can't run beta software for production, so hopefully it gets out of beta quickly.

I get lots of crashes in Xcode 7.2. All seem to be related to Interface Builder. Hope there is a fix coming soon.

Exactly same problem here. I installed all updates - Xcode 7.2 (7C68) and 10.11.2 (15C50)

This was happening for me with xcode 7.2 and finally figured out what to edit. For me editing the storyboard with a text editor and in the first line of XML I found and removed propertyAccessControl="all" then saved the file. After that InterfaceBuilder could open the storyboard without crashing.

I tried this, but XCode would crash whenever I tried re-opening the storyboard in IB. In my case propertyAccessControl="none".

I tried this, but it didn't work for me.

I'm running Xcode 7.2 under OS X 11.2: i.e. the latest versions of both. Xcode is not merely crashing: it freezes my whole system, which then spontaneously restarts. And this happens even when I'm not using a storyboard: it's happened twice already today when I was typing peacefully away in an editor text window.

I have also had these freeze-restarts happen when using other programmes. But I don't recall whether I had Xcode open at the time or not. I'll remember to note this next time it happens.

Hmmm, what you are describing looks more like a RAM problem for me ... Or in the very rare cases a disk problem.

It's when some programs reach a corrupted block in memory and can't read it anymore, it causes a freeze and the system doesn't know how to handle that block, so it crashes.

I suggest you do a PRAm reset and pray it's not a hardware problem. If the problem persists, you'b maybe better changing your RAM (supposing it's not the soldered one).

For me, Xcode 7.2 on OSX 10.11.2 did solve most problems. I still have few minor crashes but it's just few times a day ... (waow, after writing this I realized how much I did lower my acceptance standards ... I'm happy that my main program crashes "just few times" a day, come on, Apple).

I downloaded Rember and it reported a RAM error. So that's the most likely explanation of the problems I've been seeing. Now to figure out which module is defective.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Same problem here but with Xcode 7.2. Has been fine up until today, now it crashes after i make a few changes in IB. At first I thought it was only when modifying stack views but now it happens randomly. The latest crash occurred after dragging a label onto a view controller. I can't get any work done. I restarted my computer and completely removed and reinstalled Xcode 7.2 and it is still happening. PLEASE HELP!!!

The crashes in radar://22266225 are due to an AppKit bug in 10.11, which is fixed in 10.11.2. Sorry for the delay, I hadn't seen this particular thread until now.

This happens to me too. I've even tried the 7.3 beta (7D152p) and it still crashes