iOS 9.2 Unable to install managed app from MDM

After upgrading to iOS 9.2 managed apps are failing to install. We are seeing the following error message in the device logs:

12/9/15, 1:53:07 PM mdmd[661]: (Note ) MDM: App “[app.bundle.name]” state changed from Prompting to Failed.

Anyone else seeing the same issue?

Accepted Reply

iOS 9.2.1 was released today at 10am PST. From the testing I've been able to do this has resolved the issue which is the same result I saw using the beta version.

Replies

RE-enroll works for me in XenMobile. Mobile Iron doesnt work at this time

I've had hit and miss success with that on MobileIron. I've removed my device (retire) from MobileIron, re-registered it and can now re-install managed apps. Previous tests this did not occur. Although removing and re-registering thousands of devices won't really be an option for the long term 🙂. Hopefully either MobileIron can provide a simliar workaround as IBM has - or Apple releases a fix.

Thanks

On MobileIron this works for us

Steps:

1. Retire the device from the core

2. Delete Mobile Iron app from iOS device

3. Go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

4. Re-download Mobile Iron app

5. Re-register device to the core

Everything should get pushed within a few minutes.

We saw the same thing on Symantec Mobility Suite- after upgrading to 9.2 you can install one app via MDM, then it no longer allows it.

Uninstall and reinstall works for us as well, but I agree that it is not an optimal solution.

I have tested this out multiple times on airwatch and haven't been able to re-produce it.

Airwatch have said it's a known issue: https://support.air-watch.com/articles/98313038-Unable-to-download-managed-applications-after-upgrading-a-currently-enrolled-iOS-device-to-iOS-9-2

Symptoms

We’ve received reports that currently enrolled iOS devices that are upgraded to iOS 9.2 are then unable to download managed applications. Currently installed applications do continue to function as expected.

Resolution

We have reports that this issue is impacting other EMM providers as well. Our product team has been engaged and is currently investigating the issue with Apple. Our current recommendation is to advise existing users with managed devices not to upgrade to iOS 9.2 until the issue has been resolved.

We have seen intermittent success with re-enrollment fixing the issue but this does not resolve the issue in all cases.

So AirWatch is unaffected? That's good news!

Have you tested it on supervised devices only ?
As I can see affected only non-supervised iOS 9.2 devices.

It looks like that Apple fixed problem - from today all works on both supervised and non-supervsed devices with Kaspersky MDM.

what is changed @ Apple? Still doesn't work with Xenmobile

cheers

emiel

I have tested on both supervised and non-supervised devices. And while I personally cannot re-produce it, airwatch is stating in their known issues community forum that it is a problem.

Based on what most people are stating I would say this is an OS bug. Has anyone opened a bug report?

Don't think Apple has corrected this, still an issue with MobileIron managed devices today.

I made some test yesterday, 14 december using 2 iphone 6s Plus (iOS 9.1 and iOS 9.2) and 1 iphone 5 (iOS 5).

I've not been able to reproduce the issue on iphone 6s plus (both 9.1 and 9.2 iOS version) but the issue exists on the iPhone 5 (iOS 9.1).

I think that Apple is trying to fix the issue at a server level but apparently theyu are introducing new issues.....

My MDM Platform is AirWatch version 8.1.5

exactly, last friday we experienced no problems, as of yesterday it didn't work any more. A soon as an enterprise app is being removed no new enterprise apps can be installed any more.

cheers

emiel