Xcode 7.1 crashing continuously on IB

Just updated to Xcode 7.1 and it's crashing so many times it's becoming impossible to work with.

The crashes happen when in Interface Builder, and modifying anything's font (in my case to Custom -> Georgia 18 Bold).

It happened so much even on a newly created pretty simple test project that has few Stack views containing one Label and one Button or Textfield, at first thought because of the Preview, which is now disabled.

Is there any reason for the crashes or is it another Xcode 6.3 fiasco with the need to manually edit the project container?

I don't think it's the machine/OS (a fairly new iMac Retina, 32Gig Apple Ram, pretty empty SSD and fresh install of both El-Capitan 10.11.1 and Xcode 7.1)

The project is also a simple interface with nearly no code (at least no overrides or preview modifiers, just buttons linkink to "dismiss viewcontroller").

Thanks

Replies

Yep, just got my first crash since updating. Guess it serves me right for thinking I could get away with toggling a Stack View's property on and off in IB.

The good news is that Xcode stayed up and running for a whole hour before crashing and burning on itself this time, so I guess that's progress. 😐

Agreed, It's really quite awful.

Yep, having same problem. Sometimes crashes some time after I have updated something in IB, not immediatley on update.

I'm having the same problem with Xcode 7.1.1. It doesn't just crash; it freezes my iMac, which then does a spontaneous restart. It does this whenever I try to use the SKS editor in my Swift project.

P.S. I stumbled across a message in another thread which mentioned Xcode became more responsive when source control was disabled. I went to Preferences - Source Control and unchecked the box. (It seems to be enabled by default.) I can now use the SKS editor with no problems at all (so far).

Luckily for me, I have no need of source control. But I'm sure many other developers do.

dkj

I spoke too soon. Xcode is still causing my iMac to freeze and restart when I try to use the SKS editor. But turning off source control did improve performance otherwise. I'll just avoid the editor for now.

XCode Version 7.1.1.(7B1005)

OS x El Capitan version 10.11.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch)

Asus 27 inch monitor connected by HDMI

XCode still crashing frequently.

Is 7B1005 the latest build?

Same problem here (XCode Version 7.1.1.(7B1005))

Only I'm not even able to open the storyboard at all. Xcode crashes as soon as I click on the storyboard file.. I'm really stuck in maintaining my apps now 😠

Just downloaded the latest beta release Xcode 7.2 beta (7C62b), same problem in there 😟

Might as well join in and say same problem for me with 7.1 (7B91b) some of the pain is eased by using AppCode but for IB there's no choice but to use Xcode and that's where I get the most crashes. If I were to estimate it has cost me at least 25% in production time and my project has a very short delivery window.

Come on Apple, please fix this or at least give some status on it.

Same here. Every time I trying to edit storyboard Xcode crashing.

I'm running 7.1.1

I'm working on a urgent app (maintaining). Now I'm stuck because of this problemt.

May be going I'm going to loose my Job also. 😟

Thanks Apple 😠

The worst part is that I see same crashes in latest Xcode beta.

Tossing my hat in here as well. This has been happening to me very, very frequently for the past two weeks. It has slowed my workflow tremendously.

Xcode 7.1.1 is crashing every 10-15 minutes for me while I'm in IB. It's really frustrating.

I have a MBP 15 Retina (mid 2015).

Yeah, this is really an infuriating bug, I agree. IB is almost unusable. I'm also caught up in my work and if I forget to hit CMD-S every second, I lose five or ten minutes of work or more at a time and have to redo all of it. I'm so frustrated with Apple for this one. Never seen Apple release anything with a bug this obvious and big, and then take so long to do anything to address it. I'll definitely think twice before I ever upgrade so quickly to another OS X release.

Precisely the same here.

I reported this through the bug reporter. When Apple closed my ticket as a duplicate, they passed along another nugget: apparently the source of the crashes ultimately lies with a bug in OS X, which is fixed in 10.11.2. So take heart, and run a beta if you can!