Java SE 6

Hi there,

yesterday I installed the pre-release of OSX 10.11 and I can't open the Adobe Illustrator CS6.

This is the error that I get:

"Adobe Illustrator CS6" cannot be opened.

This application requires the legacy Java SE6 runtime which is unavailable for this version of OS X.

Thanks,

Mauro Vime

Accepted Reply

As mentioned by suelicious, the web article by Oliver Dowling gives the following solution. I did this and it allowed Photoshop to run!

Download the latest Java from Oracle and then...

Here is the steps I did:

The solution is to edit

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Info.plist
and change:

<
key
>JVMCapabilities</
key
>

<
array
>

<
string
>CommandLine</
string
>

</
array
>

To:

<
key
>JVMCapabilities</
key
>

<
array
>

<
string
>CommandLine</
string
>

<
string
>JNI</
string
>

<
string
>BundledApp</
string
>

</
array
>

- Save the changes and start up Photoshop - no problems!

NOTE... depending on what JDK you have loaded, you will need to change the 'jdk1.8.0_45.jdk' to whatever you have loaded.

To figure that out, simply look at what is in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Replies

As mentioned by suelicious, the web article by Oliver Dowling gives the following solution. I did this and it allowed Photoshop to run!

Download the latest Java from Oracle and then...

Here is the steps I did:

The solution is to edit

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Info.plist
and change:

<
key
>JVMCapabilities</
key
>

<
array
>

<
string
>CommandLine</
string
>

</
array
>

To:

<
key
>JVMCapabilities</
key
>

<
array
>

<
string
>CommandLine</
string
>

<
string
>JNI</
string
>

<
string
>BundledApp</
string
>

</
array
>

- Save the changes and start up Photoshop - no problems!

NOTE... depending on what JDK you have loaded, you will need to change the 'jdk1.8.0_45.jdk' to whatever you have loaded.

To figure that out, simply look at what is in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Worked as a charm! thanks

Thanks for the quick and easy solution ! Because I need PS for my App Icon designs . So also a big thanks from Austria that you share the solution .

With best regards Philipp

Sorry, doesn't work for me either... Read-only file system is written. Alternative solutions wanted.

Thank you for any additional ideas!

For some reason, even after downloading and installing the latest Java, I am not finding any .plist file in the directory below:

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_40.jdk/Contents

Anyone else unable to follow any of the steps outlined on this page? I really need Java to work 😟

How did you edit the file? Mine is locked and I can't figure out how to unlock it.

Thanks

Got it working

Download the Java SE 8 DMG from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html and install.

In Terminal enter the following to turn off rootless and then reboot: sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"

In Terminal enter these 2 lines: sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle

Turn rootless back on and reboot again: sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=1"

Enjoy!

Same Issue. I have the /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines directory but nothig inside.

Hello, you do not know how to resolve installation JAVA sixth after installation EL Capitano not I java 6, and applications that need it. Java 6 is not even install it agrees that a newer version, I've tried to remove the instructions on the java oracle. thanks for the help

Also nothing in my /JavaVirtualMachines folder?? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Try downloading and installing both the JRE and JDK from Oracle.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

same problem here.

Try downloading and installing both the JRE and JDK from Oracle.

Ouch. These solutions are not pretty. But apparently they would be necessary. The Adobe CC products are certainly not the only ones I use that require Java 6. It would be so much better if there were more attention from Apple developers on maintaining compatibility with legacy software that is commonly used.

Tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail.

Simplest and easiest is to install Apple's Java developer kit. Go here to download it: https://goo.gl/J8Wi3

NOw have Dreamwraver running on El Capitan...