Scan for WiFi networks within sandbox

I am trying to perform a WiFi network scan using CoreWLAN but I keep getting these errors:

2015-07-18 01:13:09.353 DummyApp[2720:74054] Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (The connection to service named com.apple.airportd was invalidated.) UserInfo=0x608000064600 {NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.airportd was invalidated.}

Additionally, I get this in the console:

18/07/15 01:10:03,599 appleeventsd[48]: <rdar://problem/11489077> A sandboxed application with pid 2668, "DummyApp" checked in with appleeventsd, but its code signature could not be validated ( either because it was corrupt, or could not be read by appleeventsd ) and so it cannot receive AppleEvents targeted by name, bundle id, or signature. Error=ERROR: #100013 { "NSDescription"="SecCodeCopySigningInformation() returned 100013, -." } (handleMessage()/appleEventsD.cp #2100) com.apple.root.default-qos

18/07/15 01:10:03,604 sandboxd[277]: ([48]) appleeventsd(48) deny file-read-metadata /Library

The code I am using is as follows:

NSError *error;
CWInterface *iface = [[CWWiFiClient sharedWiFiClient] interface];
NSSet *networks = [iface scanForNetworksWithName:nil error:&error];

if (error == nil) {
     NSLog(@"Found networks: %ld", networks.count);
}
else {
     NSLog(@"%@", error);
}

This works like charm with sandbox disabled. Am I missing something? Isin't it possible to scan for WiFi networks from within sandbox? I have found two apps on the Mac App Store that do exactly this:

Mac App Store - WiFi Explorer - Apple

Mac App Store - WiFi Scanner - iTunes - Apple

Is it possible that these apps somehow got into the App Store without being sandboxed? They were recently updated so they are not leftovers from from the pre-sandbox era.

Any insights will be helpful. Thank you very much.

Replies

I am trying to perform a WiFi network scan using CoreWLAN but I keep getting these errors:

CoreWLAN is not supported within the sandbox, something that we've actually documented in the Determine Whether Your App Is Suitable for Sandboxing section of the App Sandbox Design Guide.

I have found two apps on the Mac App Store that do exactly this

It's déjà vu all over again (-:

Please read this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hello,

Is CoreWLAN still not available in the sandbox in OS X 10.11? Are there any plans to add an entitlement for that?

Thank you!

Gabriel Arjones

Is CoreWLAN still not available in the sandbox in OS X 10.11?

I answered this in the other place you asked it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"

Is it possble to request and gain special entitlement for an app, like com.apple.wifi.scan.

Is it possble to request and gain special entitlement for an app, like

com.apple.wifi.scan

Not that I’m aware of.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

How/Where can I request (apple team) for special entitlement?

There are no special entitlements associated with CoreWLAN. There is, however, a long and complex story here. You can learn more by reading thread thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”