Dirty words restrictions

Are there restrictions concerning swear words in app's content ?

Replies

I had a list of words that I had to have an automatic replacer on to keep the rating down, but if you do not care about the rating I believe they approved.

Apple prefers to keep their apps clean. Things that Apple doesn't usually shut you down for is user content. If you are putting excessive amounts of fowl language in your app that have to purpose to your apps experience then Apple will likely deny your app. You can use whatever language you want and then when you submit your app for review Apple will tell you if the language is too much.

Thank you very much for replying Actieve !

It is risky because yes, we are planning to put excessive amounts of swear language, it is the aim of the app.

Thank you for your answer Memj !

Make sure though that none of these swear words show up in screen shots or the app description. Even if your app is rated for 17+ (or whatever the mature audience rating is), the App Store is used by all ages, so all that content must be clean.

Thank you for your answer donarb.

So you think that if no dirty word appears neither in the description

nor in screen shots, Apple could approve ?

Have you ever seen or designed apps with (very) dirty words ?

Sorry if I missed it - what rating will you want for your app?

Otherwise, see the App Store Review Guidelines Section 16, Objectionable content...and note they leave it vague, presumably so they can make on the fly judgements.

Hi KMT,

You are right, they are really vague about the kind of content they would reject ; I have read all the guidelines possible and nothing about dirty words.

What do you mean by rating ?

What is vague about:

12.1 Apps that present excessively objectionable or crude content will be rejected

In any polite situation, swear/curse words would be considered crude at best.

I know this post is 5 years old, but any luck getting your app published? I am in the same boat. I have an Adult Game that uses pretty obscene language and I have been rejected. Any resolution?