Xcode 7.1 crashing continuously on IB

Just updated to Xcode 7.1 and it's crashing so many times it's becoming impossible to work with.

The crashes happen when in Interface Builder, and modifying anything's font (in my case to Custom -> Georgia 18 Bold).

It happened so much even on a newly created pretty simple test project that has few Stack views containing one Label and one Button or Textfield, at first thought because of the Preview, which is now disabled.

Is there any reason for the crashes or is it another Xcode 6.3 fiasco with the need to manually edit the project container?

I don't think it's the machine/OS (a fairly new iMac Retina, 32Gig Apple Ram, pretty empty SSD and fresh install of both El-Capitan 10.11.1 and Xcode 7.1)

The project is also a simple interface with nearly no code (at least no overrides or preview modifiers, just buttons linkink to "dismiss viewcontroller").

Thanks

Replies

It happens to me too. However I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that I'm using Cocoapods. Any one here experiencing the same without using Cocoapods or any thirds party libraries/frameworks?

Just adding my input, am experiencing multiple crashes with XCode, Retina 5K iMac, elCapitan and all 7.x versions (as others seem to have) when making small tweaks in IB

I send every crash report as well so Apple must be getting thousands of them 😟

A number of forum threads mention crashed thread simlar to below, which shows up in crash report:

Crashed Thread:        xx  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.user-interactive-qos

the numbered thread crashes on

__vImageCopyBuffer_block_invoke

If everyone has a Retina 5K mac, this seems to be image drawing related, maybe xcode not adequately tested on 5K iMac?

Is everyone else getting similar crash traces?

Me, exactly the same on a Mac Book Pro 13" 2015

Same on MacBookPro 15" 2015... I've sent probably 20-30 crash reports per day on this issue in the hopes the sheer numbers would get this on the radar. This has been a problem since 7.0 I was really hoping 7.1 would fix it but it seems worse now. It does seem to happen less without an external monitor but it looks like iMac folks are having the same issue.

+1000

I've opened the case for this symptom since 9 Oct 2015 and this is the latest reply from Apple

The original report on the issue, Bug ID 22266225, was closed and the resolution is “fixed in El Capitan 01.11.2 build 15C31”. That build is not available yet, so please check the Developer web site for its availability.

Same here. Xcode crashes in the IB on two iMac 5K and a 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2012) continuously. Also I tried Xcode 7.2 beta 2 but it's exactly the same.

Apple: FIX THIS!

Besides the numerous Crash Reportings, I filed one bug report where I think has few information on some causes and the occurence of the bug.

The rdar number is: rdar://23391690

Not suprised it has been closed, and declared duplicate of rdar://22266225

Now, seeing that rdar itself is broken, and we haven't a single clue on what's going on, can you give us any feedback please?

Also, just a side question, rdars get closed because they are duplicate of an original one, but do the information they contain get even used or are they just dismissed? This is just to know if I should keep my motivation and the extent I go when filling one, joining logs, finding patterns, etc ... Or just "add a voice" to a bug knowing that all the hard work and time would be dismissed anyway?

Thank you.

I have the same problem, too. It's really annoying. It happens on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), but not on my non-retina iMac. It's always in interface builder and, for me, it typically happens when working with UIBarButtonItem or adjusting the color of just about anything. I see similar error messages.

Please fix this soon. I crash at least once every 5 minutes in IB.

rdar://23430892

Added a little info from the crash log if it helps:

Xcode 7.1 (9079)

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000112f64e00
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x112f64e00:
    CG backing stores      0000000112f46000-0000000112f5e000 [   96K] rw-/rw- SM=PRV
-->
    CoreAnimation          0000000112f6e000-0000000112f7f000 [   68K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Thread 34 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.user-interactive-qos
0   com.apple.vImage               0x00007fff8705388a __vImageCopyBuffer_block_invoke + 186
1   libdispatch.dylib             0x00007fff9139d028 _dispatch_client_callout2 + 8

VM Region Summary:
ReadOnly portion of Libraries: Total=501.8M resident=0K(0%) swapped_out_or_unallocated=501.8M(100%)
Writable regions: Total=1.8G written=0K(0%) resident=0K(0%) swapped_out=0K(0%) unallocated=1.8G(100%)

Still happening for me after upgrading to 7.1.1.

Really dread having to do anything in IB now because the constant crashing is really disruptive to my flow.

Same here, Xcode Version 7.1 (7B91b) on MBP Retina 13". El Capitan.

Can't get anything done because whenever I start to tweak eg. button properties (font, color, etc) in IB, Xcode crashes.

At this point, it's basically impossible for me to complete the Xcode course I'm taking... and I'm beginning to doubt whether it's even worth it.

That's potentially interesting about the dual display - I am working in Xcode on a non-Retina display off of my Retina machine. I'd hate to have to work on the tiny MBP screen, but can live with it as a temporary workaround.

7.1.1 improved the frequency of occurence, but it is still happening multiple times a day.

Still happening here as well on xcode 7.1.1. Modifying constraints / colors / fonts. Literally anything in IB can eventually cause this crash.

OK, just updated to the latest. Claims to fix critical IB bugs. Let's see what happens....

This is absolutely frustrating as ****.

As soon as you get caught up in actual work and forget to press CMD+S every five seconds it will crash, costing you all your work since last save or build.