Bug: Turn-based matches created with older app version not associated with current app version

I just released an app update. In iTunes Connect, I have the Multiplayer Compatibility section set correctly to make the current and previous versions compatible with each other. However, I'm seeing an issue now where old turn-based matches created with an older app version are not being correctly associated with the current app version.

If the user ISN'T running the app, he gets a push notification when his opponent moves, but it asks him to go to the App Store to download the app, even though he already has the current version of the app installed. If he clicks on "App Store", it takes him to the app in the store, but the only option is to "Open" because he already has the app.

If the user IS running the app, my app isn't notified at all when the opponent makes a move. However, if the user manually reloads the match using the menu in my app, he can continue to play. My app just never gets notified automatically.

Note: If the user creates a new turn-based match with the latest version of the app, then everything works fine. The problem only exists for turn-based matches created with older versions of the app.

I think what's happening is that Game Center isn't correctly associating turn-based matches created with old versions of the app correctly with the new version of the app.

I've filed a bug report (23247021) for this.

amandavoss: If you see this, can you please take a look at my bug report? I'm wondering if this is a general problem, or if something went wrong when my app in particular was updated, and you can push something through to fix it. Thanks.

Replies

I've filed another bug report (23276738) because the Game Center Multiplayer Compatibility setting for my app isn't working correctly after my latest update. The Multiplayer Compatibility setting is set correctly in iTunes Connect, but Game Center isn't recognizing that the apps are compatible, and users are being prompted to download a different app on the App Store, when the app they have installed should already be compatible.

I think this bug (23276738) could be related to the bug (23247021) I noted in my previous post.

Is anyone seeing any of these multiplayer compatibility issues with recent updates they released?

If someone from Apple is reading this, can you please give some feedback and/or respond to my 2 bug reports? Thanks.

nasj442

Could you try again and see if it is working now?

amandavoss

amandavoss,

I think that bug 23247021 is fixed now. I had one old turn-based match from before the update that didn't work correctly yesterday, but now it's working. I wish I had more than one old turn-based match to test, but I had previously ended some matches during related testing. I've also contacted some users who reported this problem to us to find out if it's fixed for them. They have many old turn-based matches from before the update, so it should be a better test. If they are still having problems, I'll let you know.

I also tested bug 23276738, but this one is still broken. Cross-app invites between separate apps that are set to be multiplayer compatible are still not working.

Thanks for looking into this.

I was just testing bug 23276738 some more, and cross-app invites are working now! I don't know if you changed something in the past hour that fixed it. The only thing I did differently was hard reset some of my devices. Maybe that helped.

Can I ask what caused these 2 bugs? Did something go wrong when my apps were updated so that the multiplayer compatibility settings were not being recognized somehow? Thanks.