TVOS GM Without A USB C

I'm part of the second round of people to receive Apple TV's. We got the batch without the USB C cable.

Can you let me know if/how I get the GM version of TV OS without the cable.

Will an Over The Air Update Take Place?

Replies

See this thread from Apple:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/24654

I'm in the same boat as you.

My cable is arriving November 25 from Amazon. I was headstrong buying a USB 3.1 cable instead of just USB 2 - and they didn't have any in stock in Canada. I did Best Buy, The Source, and Addison Electronics and haven't found any of these cables. Future Shop doesn't exist anymore.

And cherry on top, I lost TestFlight today because it's now available on the App Store. Way to go...

I specifically received an email from Apple telling me OTA updating is not supported with the GM. Why won't they allow it !?!?!?!

Apple never allows OTA for GMs. The associate triggers are presumed to rely on incrementals, instead.

You may want to try a local cell carrier. There are a few phones on the market that use USB-C for charging and it would be the same cable so you might be able to get one there

Edit. Removed USB-C - USB-A adapter

NO the USB A to C adapter DOES NOT WORK for this purpose, from what I've read here. You may want to do some research before considering that route.

Thanks..i was unaware and i have removed it from my above post!

So apparently, you can ask to upgrade at an Apple Store. I read that on a forum.

But here I am at Carrefour Laval, and I've been told that the license I accepted when receiving the Dev Kit doesn't allow this. And they don't sell these cables. Ugh........

The USB C to A adapter does work. I used one with mine last night. The trick for me was finding a "dumb" USB A male to male cable to plug into my MBP. The first one I tried was one from Best Buy and was a data transfer one, has a chip in it to run software to do the transfer between machines. It didn't work. I got another cable from Fry's that was just a straight male to male, nothing extra in it, and it worked perfectly.

A brand name and part # may help...

Good to hear. That's the first successful report of it that I've read (along with quite a few unsuccessful ones).

I have been using a third-party "iC-Tech" one from amazon dot ca. They have them in stock. Staples also has some in stock for online shipment but theirs are $$$. And as others have suggested, try cell phone stores. USB-C is more common there.

I deleted my earlier post as though the tvOS restore alert clearly stated it would download software updates in addition to deleting all saved data and settings, It fails to do so on Beta versions.

Sorry for any confusion.