Xcode 7.0.1 / 6.4 won't open with Xcode 7.1 beta 3 aside

My Xcode 7.0.1 and Xcode 6.4 won't open while Xcode-beta.app(Xcode 7.1 beta 3) lives in /Applications.

One solution for me is just moving the Xcode-beta.app out of /Applications, and everything works fine as usual.

(except for Xcode 6.4 missing UI for selecting devices, well I knew 6.4 not supported in El Capitan)

Not sure whether other versions have similar issue, but this seems to happen just after I installed Xcode 7.1 beta 3 (previously beta 1).

No idea how to get logs of Xcode launching process.

Environment:

OS X El Capitan 10.11

Xcode.app (Xcode 7.0.1, installed from App Store)

Xcode.app (Xcode 6.4, installed from App Store and used out of /Applications)

Xcode-beta.app (Xcode 7.1 beta 3, downloaded from https://developer.apple.com/xcode/download/ )

Replies

I have kind of similar situation, but different from yours.

After installing Xcode 7.1 beta 3 in /Applications, Xcode 6.4 (/Applications/Xcode.app) works OK except that it crashes every time I open a storyboard editor, complaining "Encountered an error communicating with Interface Builder WatchKit Tool.":

Application Specific Information:
ProductBuildVersion: 6E35b
ASSERTION FAILURE in /SourceCache/IDEInterfaceBuilderCocoaTouch/IDEInterfaceBuilderCocoaTouch-7703/InterfaceBuilder/Utilities/IBObjectMarshalling.m:45
Details:  Failed to launch Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool: Error Domain=com.apple.InterfaceBuilder Code=-1 "Encountered an error communicating with Interface Builder WatchKit Tool." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7fda9024eda0 {Error Domain=IBMessageChannelErrorDomain Code=1 "Failed to communicate with Interface Builder" UserInfo={IBAbstractPlatformToolCrashLog=

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays/Interface Builder WatchKit Tool
  Reason: image not found

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=
DYLD_ROOT_PATH=/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 9.0.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot
, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to communicate with Interface Builder, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool crashed: dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=
DYLD_ROOT_PATH=/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 9.0.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot
}}, NSLocalizedDescription=Encountered an error communicating with Interface Builder WatchKit Tool., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Please check Console.app for crash reports for "Interface Builder WatchKit Tool" for further information., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Interface Builder WatchKit Tool (15323) failed to launch and exited with status (null), signal 5.

Kenyth,

I am having the exact same problem and error as you. I've tried removing and reinstalling just Xcode 6.4 but that did not resolve the issue. I don't see the PepperUICore as described in the error. Were you able to resolve this? I'm wondering if a later Xcode install removed this or somethign is still looking for this. Thanks for any assistance.

Same issue with installed XCode 7.1 from app store and XCode 6.4

Can't use XCode 6.4 normally because it tries to use PepperUICore.framework. My system doesn't have this framework PepperUICore.framework

i have same problem in my xcode.

OSX : 10.10 and installed XCode 7.1 from app store and XCode 6.4

When open xib will crash with XCode 6.4 and run simulator will miss image,but XCode 7.1 is fine.

Maybe i solve this problem.

My mac environment is OSX 10.10 , install Xcode 7.1 and Xcode 6.4 .

Problem : Open xib will crash in Xcode 6.4 and run simulator some image didn't show.

Then this is crash log :

ProductBuildVersion: 6E35b
ASSERTION FAILURE in /SourceCache/IDEInterfaceBuilderCocoaTouch/IDEInterfaceBuilderCocoaTouch-7703/InterfaceBuilder/Utilities/IBObjectMarshalling.m:45
Details:  Failed to launch Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool: Error Domain=com.apple.InterfaceBuilder Code=-1 "Encountered an error communicating with Interface Builder WatchKit Tool." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7fda9024eda0 {Error Domain=IBMessageChannelErrorDomain Code=1 "Failed to communicate with Interface Builder" UserInfo={IBAbstractPlatformToolCrashLog=
Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays/Interface Builder WatchKit Tool

Solution:

i don't know why Xcode 6.4 will use iOS 9.0.simruntime when run simulator,

so i open finder and then go to /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes move iOS 9.0.simruntime out

then Xcode6.4 will be fine.

but this solution is not very good ,becuse if use Xcode7.1 ,it will no iOS 9.0.simruntime in runtime.

that's all....

Hope help evryone.

I have the same problem and I'm still on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, NOT El Capitan.

I've been downloading Xcode versions directly and renaming the Xcode.app files before running them. This lets me easily have multiple versions installed in /Applications at the same time. It was working fine until recently. Xcode 6.4 now gives me the same crash

Dyld Error Message:
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode6.4.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays/Interface Builder WatchKit Tool

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=/Applications/Xcode6.4.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Overlays
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=

I do have several copies of PepperUICore.framework in the various Xcode install directories:

$ find /Applications -name PepperUICore -print
/Applications/Xcode6.4.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore
/Applications/Xcode7.0.1.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/WatchSimulator.sdk/System/Library/AccessibilityBundles/PepperUICore.axbundle/PepperUICore
/Applications/Xcode7.0.1.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/WatchSimulator.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore
/Applications/Xcode7.1.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/WatchSimulator.sdk/System/Library/AccessibilityBundles/PepperUICore.axbundle/PepperUICore
/Applications/Xcode7.1.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/WatchSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/WatchSimulator.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore

Using xcode-select to point to the 6.4 or 7.1 versions makes no difference. I'm not sure when the error first appeared, but I think it was when I installed 7.1 and removed a 7.1 beta version.

I think I have a solution, at least for Yosemite 10.10.5. I haven't tested it on El Capitan

Xcode is using DYLD_ROOT_PATH as its starting point to find frameworks. As Sean noted, Xcode 6.4 was using the "iOS 9.0.simruntime" in its DYLD_ROOT_PATH. Sean's workaround was to delete that runtime, which presumably left Xcode using the 8.4.simruntime instead and, as he also noted, will affect Xcode 7.1.

There's no PepperUICore in the iOS 9.0.simruntime, but I have several other copies:

$ find /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes -name PepperUICore
/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.2.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore
/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.3.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore
/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework/PepperUICore

So I created a symbolic link to my iOS 8.4 version in the 9.0 directory. After doing that running Xcode 6.4 gave the same error for a different framework when I tried to use Interface Builder: SockPuppetGizmo. That framework isn't in the iOS 9.0.simruntime either, so I linked that too! And now Xcode 6.4 can successfully open Xib files and it doesn't appear to have caused any problems with Xcode 7.1.

This is what I did:

sudo ln -s "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework" "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 9.0.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks"
sudo ln -s "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SockPuppetGizmo.framework" "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 9.0.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks"

sudo ln -s "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework" /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework

sudo ln -s "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SockPuppetGizmo.framework" /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SockPuppetGizmo.framework

Use this both and you will get solution

In my case, I'm running Xcode 6 on El Capitan with Xcode 7 installed as well. It has the 9.1 simulator is installed, so I changed 9.0 to 9.1 as follows, and I am able to build and run on the device again! Thanks!

sudo ln -s "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PepperUICore.framework" "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 9.1.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks"
sudo ln -s "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 8.4.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SockPuppetGizmo.framework" "/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS 9.1.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks"