Setting up the Apple TV Dev Kit

Here are some tips on setting up the new Apple TV Dev Kit, because you can't just plug it into your TV as soon as you unbox it.

First you need to download the tvOS Beta from here: https://developer.apple.com/tvos/download

Next you need to install the beta to the Apple TV, it doesn't come with it installed already.

1. Plug the Apple TV into an outlet and into your computer with the usb-c cable

2. Launch iTunes (v12.2.2 works fine)

3. Option click the "Restore Apple TV" button and select the tvOS Beta .ipsw file you downloaded before.

Then you need to register your Apple TV with your developer account.

1. In Xcode (v6.4 or higher) under "Window > Devices" click on the Apple TV

2. If it's just showing the device logs at first click the down arrow to see the device info

3. Copy the Identifier and register on the dev center just like you would an iPhone

That's it! Just plug your Apple TV into your TV and set it up. If you have iOS 9.1 installed on a device you can use that to set it up easier, otherwise you can just use the remote.

Good luck building your tvOS apps, I can't wait to see what you create!

Replies

In my case, I had to unplug all other USB devices from my iMac. I had my iPhone

and an iPad attached and this seemed to confuse iTunes.

I'm a little confused about the "USB-C cable" reference. My Apple TV Dev Kit came with a Thunderbolt cable -- won't plug into the Apple TV anywhere, and I'm scratching my head as to what's the intention here. Did they package the wrong cable? What do I need to do to get the right cable? Do I have to return the dev kit, and if so, does anyone have an idea about how you go about that?

Fez

The USB C cable was only included in the first round of developer kits. You need to purchase a

USB C to USB A cable. They are available at the Apple store and elsewhere.

Is installing software necessary?

I just got the 2nd round (without the black USB-C cable) and I didn't install any software or do anything to it. I just hitched it to my TV and it boots completely into a useable state so it already has software installed (whether this version of the software is OK for development, I don't know). But I can see the menus, movies, music, etc...

You will need to install beta 2 if it isn't already installed before you'll be able to install

later versions over the air. Once that's done, and you get beta 3 on there, testflight

will show up and other things over the course of future beta releases. You can develop

for whichever beta is installed but, chances are you'll have problems since the os will

change a lot before GM.

I only see USB-C to USB adapter, not a USB-C to USB-A cable at the apple store. Can you provide a link to the one at the apple store?

I don't know about Apple's cable (I think they were including the Belkin one) but I'm using this one from Amazon and it works fine for me. Item B00ZO3EZHM