Xcode 7.1 crashing continuously on IB

Just updated to Xcode 7.1 and it's crashing so many times it's becoming impossible to work with.

The crashes happen when in Interface Builder, and modifying anything's font (in my case to Custom -> Georgia 18 Bold).

It happened so much even on a newly created pretty simple test project that has few Stack views containing one Label and one Button or Textfield, at first thought because of the Preview, which is now disabled.

Is there any reason for the crashes or is it another Xcode 6.3 fiasco with the need to manually edit the project container?

I don't think it's the machine/OS (a fairly new iMac Retina, 32Gig Apple Ram, pretty empty SSD and fresh install of both El-Capitan 10.11.1 and Xcode 7.1)

The project is also a simple interface with nearly no code (at least no overrides or preview modifiers, just buttons linkink to "dismiss viewcontroller").

Thanks

Replies

Same problem here. The project was created with 7.0.1 just a few days ago. Updated to 7.1 this morning, opened the project, tried to build it for my device and got "Internal error...please file a bug..." on ALL XIB files.

How do I uninstall 7.1 and get 7.0.1 back so that I can build and submit and app?

Purged Xcode 7.1 from my system, thank you Steve for time machine!

it's not just you. I'm having the same issue. Same configuration. Late 2014 iMac Retina, 32mb memory (16 Apple, 16 third party), 1 TB SSD, AMD M295 with 4GB video ram. However, this issue has been occuring since upgrading to XCode 7. It's been happening in XCode 7.0, 7.0.1, and now 7.1. It does seem to be a bit worse in XCode 7.1. My install is not fresh, it's an App Store upgrade to El Capitan, and upgrade to XCode 7. So I don't think it has anything to do with fresh install vs. upgrade. I can only edit two or three properties (as with you, usually changing fonts - name, color, size, etc) or things like background colors of views, and changing a views width or height through the property editor. Everything worked fine with XCode 6 and Yosemite.

Same here. Anyone found a solution to this problem? With me it happens when I even try to access an image from the asset. I've seen it happen during many other actions, so I am not sure its specific to one or two issues. Its getting overly fraustrating to say the least!

Happens to me too. Almost everytime I try to change "content hugging priority." Is stable only immediately after restart.

It is exactly the same here. Almost unable to work with it. I described many crashes before sending reports to apple since xcode 7.0 - nothing happend since then. Apple do your homework NOW.

No answer from Apple, should probably fill a bug report, but unsure where to put it.

If it can help, one thing that may easy the problems is to go to Editor and uncheck the "Automatically Refresh Views" options.

It reduces the crashes a bit, but doesn't help if you have a preview open ... So, no preview, and refresh manually (it's like downgrading from Xcode 6 to 5, with iOS9 build capabilities only =/ ).

Do you have a bug number? We'd like to take a look.

Same for me. Xcode 7.1 crashing constantly when interacting with IB.

Yep, I also have this same problem and report bug to Apple already. They replied acknowledge with the duplicate case.

My workaround now, every action I made on IB (on the panel that have GUI), I have to press "Command-S" to save frequently, this can help me from unexpected Xcode close program (crash).

Hi,

Thank you for the input.

No, I didn't fill a bug report yet, but I sent every report after the crash, included all the files and commented on the status before the crash.

I would probably fill a bug report and include the crash reports as well, the only fear is that it gets closed as duplicate and never get a feedback again as it happened with every bug I filled before.

Same here, I spend more time on Cmd+S/crash/relaunch than in production.

The only thing that can help, disable the automatic preview, and don't use a preview pane. Also, one project/one window at a time (not having two windows, one on the retina and one on the non retina display reduced the crash occurence greatly for me).

Hope this helps until we have a real workaround.

For this case, I had submitted the bug report and Apple engineer replied ... Engineering has determined that your bug report (23043034) is a duplicate of another issue (22266225) and will be closed.

Please help to fix this bug, because we have to relaunch Xcode more than hundreds time a day. I think Apple will got a ton of Problem Reporter. 😀

Same here, multiple crashes still occuring in IB. Like the other poster said, I filed two bug reports so far and it keeps being marked "Duplicate" and that it's a known issue, by Apple. But as of 7.1 it's still occuring with maybe even greater frequency. Interface Builder is virtually unusable because of it, It crashes and am forced to "Reopen" multiple times (10 to 20 plus), in any given workday. I haven't filed a bug report for each single crash, just a couple of them, but it's amazing no one has caught this as of 7.1.

same for me. i get crashing 90% of the time when doing anything with fonts or anything with uiimage (changing stretch to fill, dragging size, etc)