WatchOS 2 - Calendar data not Syncing

Phone on 9.0GM (13A340), Watch on WatchOS 2 GM (13S343). No calendars (iCloud or Exhcange) are syncing. New appointments freshly added don't sync to watch. Removing the calendars entirely from the iPhone and re-adding them back adds to the phone but still does not sync to watch. Watch restarted, Phone restarted - no change in behavior, no calendar data on the watch.

Calendar settings in Watch App are "Mirror my iPhone"

Watch App >> General >> Reset >> Reset Sync Data does nothing.

Re-paired Watch and setup as new: no fix.

All other watch syncing (contacts, mail, etc.) seem to be working fine.

Any ideas? Any others with similar behavior?

Accepted Reply

Good news Developer Friends!

I've determined the root cause.

This is caused by Secure Open In. Basically you must allow "Allow Documents from Managed Sources in Unmanaged Destinations"

Essentially probably because of Handoff or something related to it, it views your Calendar as a Managed Data Point and your device (Apple Watch) as an unmanaged location.

The main reason for this is that the way file transfer works between Apple Device and Apple Watch is why this behavior would occur. You can read more about it here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/DesigningaWatchKitApp.html

The key item to understand with it is: At runtime, you share files between processes by reading and writing those files in the shared container directory. To access the container directory, use the

containerURLForSecurityApplicationGroupIdentifier:
method of
NSFileManager
to retrieve the base URL for the directory. Use the provided URL to enumerate the directory contents, or create new URLs for files in the directory.

Replies

Bonic -- that is my exact same problem -- I get notifications -- my calendar is empty ( no appointments this week) yet I get notified --- all started after Watch OS upgrade -- Anyone from Apple please take a look - Thanks Bgg

Same issue for me. MDM Profile installed and not calendar sync. This is nasty bug.

Why do my exchange emails get synched but not the calender?

And why does this affect also the sync of iCloud calendars and not just Exchange?

I bought my Apple Watch yesterday and if this is not getting fixed soon, it is going back to the source with many greetings to Apple.

We are early adopters so we suffer :) i am sure they will fix it eventually. For what is worth - indis install Fantastico 2 and works just fine with my company exchange acc and calendar is up to dare on the watch. With proper notifications (along with apple calendar notification that are still happening properly)

Quixk update related to Fantastical 2. Updated it with new watch app for os2. Guess what - same problem as with apple calendar, wiped out content from the fantastical watch app and cant add new event using the watch. Rhe acreen shows Oct - 7 - 21 date lol. Unusable.

I noticed a few interesting things while testing solutions provided by you all: If you add the calendar glance it shows the appropriate next event although the watch face does not. It instead shows the first event on he current day. When the above statement is true, time travel shows nothing in the past or future. When I noticed the above I immediately unlocked my phone to check if the next event was in fact accurate. Instantly the watch face updated to show the correct next event.

Same issue -- Fantasical 2 - now not working after I updated app :-(

I found that deleting and reinstalling my company's MDM profile worked! Within a few minutes my calendars on my iPhone and watch were both synced! I was also instructed to the steps below, but I didn't need to after the new profile was installed.

1. Open Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> PwC Cloud.

2. Toggle Calendar Off (when prompted, select “Delete from My iPhone”).

3. Toggle Calendar On

I trie your trick but didnt work for me. My glance shows no new event and calendar is empty on the watch while iphone version has meetings. Since Fantastico 2 was messed up too after their latest update, i downloaded PocketLife. This one works fine so far.

I did the same on my iphone and restarted the watch but the same problem. The difference between your case and mine is that my conpany uses MS Exchange service and the company enforces polices on my phone using MobileIron. Do you have that or AirWatch on your phone? However dispite above, calendar was working just fine before OS2 update.